Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So.... Has the squad improved?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I know what you mean but which one player would guarantee that? I think we still have a good shot at the play-offs anyway as long as Buckley and Kaz stay fit. That's a big 'if' but so is the wholesale destruction of the side in the summer. I'll worry about hat if it happens... Not all of the players you list will leave. Taking it even further, with so many players who could depart, not gambling all our money now on the outside prospect of promotion is perhaps even more sensible.

The last time we did that as I understand it was when we reached the Play-Off Final in 1991 and the financial repercussions helped the club into a downward spiral. Lesson learned perhaps for TB via uncle Ray.

I share your disappointment with the dealings but suppose I fundamentally trust the owner to safeguard the club's future.
All good valid points. Of the players listed I fully expect to see Upson and Kusczcack depart. I think Upson may retire and Kuszczack wants to play in the Premier League, I can't see himstaying if it doesn't look like we're seriously trying for promotion. If those 2 go we have a HUGE hole to fill.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
we would have been cruising into a strong season had he not done whatever he did to engineer a move to a prem team.....simple.

So let's get this straight. You think that Gus got himself (and, let's not forget, Oatway and Tanno) DELIBERATELY sacked, so he could then be free to move to a Premier League club?

You believe that he orchestrated the whole thing (whatever it was he did), so the club would have to suspend him and possibly sue him for breach of contract. He did this rather than simply resign? And it was all done in the hope that a team from the Premier League might take him on?

Seriously, I don't know what world you're living in, but what utter, utter nonsense. Keep taking the pills.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
So let's get this straight. You think that Gus got himself (and, let's not forget, Oatway and Tanno) DELIBERATELY sacked, so he could then be free to move to a Premier League club?

You believe that he orchestrated the whole thing (whatever it was he did), so the club would have to suspend him and possibly sue him for breach of contract. He did this rather than simply resign? And it was all done in the hope that a team from the Premier League might take him on?

Seriously, I don't know what world you're living in, but what utter, utter nonsense. Keep taking the pills.

Yep......Oatway and Tanno were collateral damage, Gus simply miscalculated slightly, suddenly panicking because he faced dismissal without getting his hands on his remaining contract cash........but of course its my view.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All good valid points. Of the players listed I fully expect to see Upson and Kusczcack depart. I think Upson may retire and Kuszczack wants to play in the Premier League, I can't see himstaying if it doesn't look like we're seriously trying for promotion. If those 2 go we have a HUGE hole to fill.

I agree with that. Upson in particular will be really tough to replace and the back line generally is getting old so it's a problem. Hopefully we can squeeze another year out of him. Kuszscak would also undeniably be a loss but with a bit of money to spend I'd be hopeful we can pick up a good keeper. I'm not entirely convinced either that he would get his PL move.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yep......Oatway and Tanno were collateral damage, Gus simply miscalculated slightly, suddenly panicking because he faced dismissal without getting his hands on his remaining contract cash........but of course its my view.

You might not like Poyet, but I'm sorry that's just bonkers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not sure of improvement as we have yet to see what these new players bring however we will not really miss Bridcutt as he has been non-existent this season.

CMS to come back is a new player in effect so this is more evolution to me.

Biggest hope is that both Buckley and Lua Lua really step up to the mark for the 2nd part of this season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I agree with that. Upson in particular will be really tough to replace and the back line generally is getting old so it's a problem. Hopefully we can squeeze another year out of him. Kuszscak would also undeniably be a loss but with a bit of money to spend I'd be hopeful we can pick up a good keeper. I'm not entirely convinced either that he would get his PL move.

Upson will be 35 by the time next season starts, and I think i read somewhere that he is having to nurse his knee very carefully game by game. Greer is 33 as is Bruno. That is an archaic defence :lol: . I agree about Kuszczack and the PL move but I could see him going to a Championship big spender, like Forest or Leicester. Being that our net spend on transfers over the last 2 windows has been about £700,000 how much do you think we could hope to see being available in the summer?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If with these new additions ,we score more goals, then yes an improvement. However i thought that when Crofts was badly hurt i felt our season over. I hope i am wrong !

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Upson will be 35 by the time next season starts, and I think i read somewhere that he is having to nurse his knee very carefully game by game. Greer is 33 as is Bruno. That is an archaic defence :lol: . I agree about Kuszczack and the PL move but I could see him going to a Championship big spender, like Forest or Leicester. Being that our net spend on transfers over the last 2 windows has been about £700,000 how much do you think we could hope to see being available in the summer?

With the Bridcutt and Barnes money, 2-3 million hopefully. Although maybe not all spent in fees. Realistically, it only looks possible these days to pick up the best players when they're out of contract or close to the end of it so the money goes into wages instead. Saw Leeds wanted £5m for McCormack for instance. Can't ever see us paying fees like that.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
With the Bridcutt and Barnes money, 2-3 million hopefully. Although maybe not all spent in fees. Realistically, it only looks possible these days to pick up the best players when they're out of contract or close to the end of it so the money goes into wages instead. Saw Leeds wanted £5m for McCormack for instance. Can't ever see us paying fees like that.

I think we learnt our lesson by spunking nearly £3m on CMS :eek:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not sure of improvement as we have yet to see what these new players bring however we will not really miss Bridcutt as he has been non-existent this season.

CMS to come back is a new player in effect so this is more evolution to me.

Biggest hope is that both Buckley and Lua Lua really step up to the mark for the 2nd part of this season.

If you want a new player that is a bang aaverage striker with limited footballing ability then I'd say yes he's like a new signing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My only observation at the moment is that hopefully Oscar has a squad who are totally behind him. The Bridcutt saga and Barnes choice to move can't have made life easy. All for one and one for all now?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My only observation is that Oscar one has a squad who are totally behind him..hopefully. The Bridcutt saga and Barnes choice to move can't have made life easy. All for one and one for all now?

Hopefully this will galvanise the remaining players, with a change of luck we could remain in touch of the play offs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you want a new player that is a bang aaverage striker with limited footballing ability then I'd say yes he's like a new signing.

What a bundle of joy you are............

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
The trouble with not investing sufficiently in the January transfer window and selling key players is the following summer you can then have disillusioned out of contract players. I'd be very surprised if Kuszchak were to renew his contract and there will be more. The end result is the squad requires further investment which the club is unable or prepared to make. This will ultimately lead to the recruitment of cheaper players of an inferior standard. Coupled with no longer having a manager with super human powers of persuasion and things will start getting extremely difficult. Crowds will dwindle and things will get progressively harder. It won't be long before we're staring relegation in the face in front of 6000 die hards wondering when the glory days will return

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Centre backs - this year we now have Upson, Greer and Dunk. Last year we had Upson, Greer and El Abd. Dunk was unavailable pretty much because of the 2 court cases. So arguably it shades last year.
I think Dunk is a better player than Adam. And overall our back 5 is arguably best or second best in Champ and it still is.

And if the question is about the depth of the squad from 12/13 to 13/14 then remember we've replaced the likes of Painter, Dicker, Harley, Adgenstein with ex prem league players such as Andrews, Agustien, and Ward.

Also Last season up front we had Ulloa and Barnes for the run in (and Barnes tripped the ref !!) and that was about it. This year up front we look far stronger in depth.

If KLL and Buckley can stay fit.

Getting them to play, form etc . We we will see. But Don't judge the window until May 2014.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Centre backs - this year we now have Upson, Greer and Dunk. Last year we had Upson, Greer and El Abd. Dunk was unavailable pretty much because of the 2 court cases. So arguably it shades last year.
I think Dunk is a better player than Adam. And overall our back 5 is arguably best or second best in Champ and it still is.

And if the question is about the depth of the squad from 12/13 to 13/14 then remember we've replaced the likes of Painter, Dicker, Harley, Adgenstein with ex prem league players such as Andrews, Agustien, and Ward.

Also Last season up front we had Ulloa and Barnes for the run in (and Barnes tripped the ref !!) and that was about it. This year up front we look far stronger in depth.

Getting them to play, form etc . We we will see. But Don't judge the window until May 2014.

Agree with you

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Can I just ask if we replaced those 4 players with the three you mention, who did we replace Bridge, Dobbie, Hammond, Noone and Vicente with, who were also in that seasons squad at sometime

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here