Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst best films at the Oscars

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Having sat through half of Argo before I gave up what would NSC think are the worst 'Best films' of recent years. looking back over the last 10 years or so does make me think that the top end might just be the worst it's ever been. For debate like.

Argo
The Artist
The Kings Speech
The hurt locker
No country
Slum Dog
The departed

There is some dross there ?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Having sat through half of Argo before I gave up what would NSC think are the worst 'Best films' of recent years. looking back over the last 10 years or so does make me think that the top end might just be the worst it's ever been. For debate like.

Argo
The Artist
The Kings Speech
The hurt locker
No country
Slum Dog
The departed

Only seen hurt locker and departed....and they're both incredible films, don't know what your smoking? But I'd give it up

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Only seen hurt locker and departed....and they're both incredible films, don't know what your smoking? But I'd give it up

The Departed is one of Scorsese's worst films. They gave it to him because of the mistakes the academy had made with him in the past. Well done in watching two of them. This is the thread for you.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Out of that list, I've only seen Slumdog Millionaire and I thought it was fantastic.

I'm generally not easily pleased when it comes to films, but I thought it felt as though I was reading a book.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Out of that list, I've only seen Slumdog Millionaire and I thought it was fantastic.

I'm generally not easily pleased when it comes to films, but I thought it felt as though I was reading a book.

Definetly the best of the films I listed.

No Country For Old Men, is INCREDIBLE! its got a rating of 94% on rotten tomatoes...

All these films have over 90% on rotten tomatoes, given that it is a mix of both public opinion and professional film critics reviews.

Serious question, what makes a good film for you? (I'm not being sarky)

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No Country For Old Men, is INCREDIBLE! its got a rating of 94% on rotten tomatoes...

That's the spirit...........

Utter shite though. Even Jarvier Bardem couldn't pull that through to 'Best film' .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm awaiting The Forest Gump fans to say that that was better than Pulp Fiction. The worst ever winner has to be Braveheart though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

All these films have over 90% on rotten tomatoes, given that it is a mix of both public opinion and professional film critics reviews.

Serious question, what makes a good film for you? (I'm not being sarky)

Well from 1969 through to the late seventies you can pick some crackers...... Cuckoos nest the best ever........ And rockie the worst. It's just that if they can give Argo the top accolade then can it be taken seriously really.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Argo
The Artist
The Kings Speech
The hurt locker
No country
Slum Dog
The departed

Dross ? you should try sitting through A Single Man. Of your list The Kings Speech and No Country for Old men are pretty good, The Artist was banal but the others I never saw.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm assuming that you have had a " traditional " Friday night, which may have coloured your judgement ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
midnight Cowboy
The French connection
Godfather
Godfather 2
The sting
One flew over the cuckoos nest

All in a space of 7 years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Out of Africa
Dances with Wolves

Both hyped by the yanks at the time, with American flavour of the month/favourite actors in these. When the hype died down, it was clear as some suspected at the time, that they were average films at best.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Argo - Excellent
The Artist - haven't seen
The Kings Speech - OK
The hurt locker - Excellent
No country - Superb the 3rd best Coen brother film behind Big Lebowski & Fargo
Slum Dog - OK
The departed - Superb.

Argo - Excellent
The Artist - haven't seen
The Kings Speech - OK
The hurt locker - Good
No country - Superb the 3rd best Coen brother film behind Big Lebowski & Fargo
Slum Dog - OK
The departed - Superb.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't see any dross there. The Departed i mightn't have much time for thanks to its quickfire remakeness, but nothing as dreadful a list as the Oscars from the 80s, even if not constantly groundbreaking. And really, there's no great strength in looking to share your taste for film of the year with those self-applauders within the industry. That's the same as agreeing on best song with Scary Spice and Pete Waterman.

I will be disappointed if American Hustle gets much this year though. Hysterical star-ridden pap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here