Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all the doubting Thomas's please watch

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Brighton & Hove Albion's head of football operations David Burke and his Seagulls World video just posted.

This shows exactly why we are going in the right direction.

I am sooooooooooo excited!

TNBA

TTF

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Any chance you could expand upon this astonishing news buddy?? ....just for those that gave up on seagulls world years ago!!

Yep of course chum. David Burke gives a near 7 minute interview detailing how the back room boys analyse potential transfer targets and then set them up for OG to approve/reject and proceed. It is really interesting and clinically implemented with true professionalism.

I think I can share the video with you if you wish to send me your email details via NSC contacts.

TNBA

TTF

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good stuff, but he can't be right. He clearly said Oscar has the final say on all signings but I was lead to believe by the brains on here that Oscar had no say in anything ...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yep of course chum. David Burke gives a near 7 minute interview detailing how the back room boys analyse potential transfer targets and then set them up for OG to approve/reject and proceed. It is really interesting and clinically implemented with true professionalism.

I think I can share the video with you if you wish to send me your email details via NSC contacts.

TNBA

TTF

yeah but we must have been a fair way down the list for the 2 signings

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Just hope Oscar is happy with our transfer dealings ( or lack of them ) Not sure why but I've got a bad feeling he'll be pissed off and gone in the summer.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Firstly, it seems you need a beard to work with Burke, secondly I couldn't concentrate on what Burke was saying because of SSN on in the background and especially the ad with the gravy being poured on the meat, thirdly it was more like they are sitting about playing Championship Manager and lastly, I don't agree that Oscar is signing these players as he seems to choose from a pool of potentials that Burke finds. I would rather Oscar had more input on who he wants rather than choosing from Burkes Shortlist.
Also what qualifies Burkes as this expert? After hearing his radio interview on Albion Roar, I didn't think his CV justified him to get that position and he comes across as dour. Also it feels like Jones has more say and connections to signings than Oscar. I have to say that my opinion after watching that is that I'm not sure we are pushing in the right direction at all.
Hope I'm wrong!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
That Burke interview was given to cover up the fact that.

Since dec 2013 we have lost

Lita
Conway
Bridcutt
Crofts
El abd
Barnes

and replaced them with

Stevens
Obika
David 2

We have received 3.3 million in transfer fees & spent £500000 of it.

I can't help thinking that our squad was stronger at the beginning of January than the end of January.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
lastly, I don't agree that Oscar is signing these players as he seems to choose from a pool of potentials that Burke finds. I would rather Oscar had more input on who he wants rather than choosing from Burkes Shortlist ... I have to say that my opinion after watching that is that I'm not sure we are pushing in the right direction at all.
Hope I'm wrong!

I think you're misunderstanding the relationship. Oscar says "I want a striker" or "I want a centre half". Burke and the scouting team compile dossiers on X number of players, which the analysis team pick through with stuff like Opta and Scout7 to narrow the X down to a shortlist of Y. Oscar then looks through all the evidence, the videos etc, and may go and scout a player personally, or one of the senior scouting staff. He signs off on every player signed. It's NOT that Burke decides to sign a full back and demands Oscar choose from the five he gives him, that one way or another one of them is getting signed.

Oscar doesn't have the time to be involved in the nitty gritty, and its a way that continental managers use all the time. It's a democratic method of narrowing our options down, with Oscar having the definitive and most important vote.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Lita
Conway
Bridcutt
Crofts
El abd
Barnes

and replaced them with

Stevens
Obika
David 2

I can't help thinking that our squad was stronger at the beginning of January than the end of January.

It would be hard to dispute that last sentence but you sometimes have to look deeper. For instance Bridcutt was going. His ex manager who admires him above all else has come calling to take him to the Premier league. So let's close that side of things down now. Barnes wanted more than we were prepared to give him so he left for a better deal and we got 750k or so. Should we have upped our offer to him...... We'll that could rage and rage for ever more. El Abd ? Well we know he is a stalwart but we all also know the truth don't we ? Lita obviously ****s Garcia off but Conway is a loss all the time Buckley is injured. We could spunk the lot we got in on panic buys or bide our time.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

Lita
Conway
Bridcutt
Crofts
El abd
Barnes

and replaced them with

Stevens
Obika
David 2

Lita - surplus to requirements.
Conway - only a short term loan. Would have been nice to have him back but I view this as meaning we are keeping Buckley
Crofts - unlucky injury.
El Abd - He went because of the length of contract on offer at Bristol City. As much as I love El Abd but it would have made no sense to offer him too long a contract
Barnes - Mr marmite - enough said

Coming in:
Stephens - I have only heard great things about him from 2 Charlton STH friends
Spanish Dave 2 - wait and see
Obika - gives us options

I am going to reserve judgement - but definitely feel that we have been fairly calm and level headed during this crazy transfer window

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Lita
Conway
Bridcutt
Crofts
El abd
Barnes

and replaced them with

Stevens
Obika
David 2

Lita played about 10 minutes and scored as many as Obika and Bridcutt played 1 (maybe) good game all season (been missing for most of it anyway)

Let's wait so see what loans come in as well

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Lita
Conway
Bridcutt
Crofts
El abd
Barnes

and replaced them with

Stevens
Obika
David 2

Jesus Christ man you can't blame Burke for Crofty being injured, and would you want to keep shelling out thousands for Lita to warm the bench, or play Bridcutt when he doesn't give an intercourse?
Why do some of you guys want to write us of all the time? We had a lousy opening to the season what with our managerial problems, more injuries than you could shake a stick at and an ex manager who is trying to hurt the club with his sniping.....And for all that we are just out of the play offs, with plenty of games to play. Cheer up for Chrissake !

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Lita - surplus to requirements.
Conway - only a short term loan. Would have been nice to have him back but I view this as meaning we are keeping Buckley
Crofts - unlucky injury.
El Abd - He went because of the length of contract on offer at Bristol City. As much as I love El Abd but it would have made no sense to offer him too long a contract
Barnes - Mr marmite - enough said

Coming in:
Stephens - I have only heard great things about him from 2 Charlton STH friends
Spanish Dave 2 - wait and see
Obika - gives us options

I am going to reserve judgement - but definitely feel that we have been fairly calm and level headed during this crazy transfer window

Totally agree, good post.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think you're misunderstanding the relationship. Oscar says "I want a striker" or "I want a centre half". Burke and the scouting team compile dossiers on X number of players, which the analysis team pick through with stuff like Opta and Scout7 to narrow the X down to a shortlist of Y. Oscar then looks through all the evidence, the videos etc, and may go and scout a player personally, or one of the senior scouting staff. He signs off on every player signed. It's NOT that Burke decides to sign a full back and demands Oscar choose from the five he gives him, that one way or another one of them is getting signed.

Oscar doesn't have the time to be involved in the nitty gritty, and its a way that continental managers use all the time. It's a democratic method of narrowing our options down, with Oscar having the definitive and most important vote.

No I totally get it, but I just think the manager needs more input. Burke shouldn't screen out players, Oscar should. Anyway I think the system needs more input from Oscar, bet Gus did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here