Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obika, Rodriguez and Stephens...

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Rodriguez could be a decent signing if he takes to our sort of game,Obika has been loaned out but nobody was prepared to sign him, Stephens is not exactly a player that comes to mind so I think we could hold our position in the table without them.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Team five years ago after a 4-2 home defeat to Peterborough.

Sullivan, Hinshelwood, McNulty, Virgo, Elphick (Fraser 86), El-Abd, Jarrett (McLeod 89), Carole (Cox 77), Forster, Davies, Andrew.
Subs Not Used: Kuipers, Livermore.

We were at a shit stadium and hadn't just sold £4 million worth of players. Stop comparing something which is incomparable!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
POTS under Poyet - we play differently under Oscar and Bridcutt didnt look brilliant playing under him - Andrews and Ince look much more suited to our new style. Crofts has been replaced by Stephens who is incredibly similar.

Rodriguez at first will be a back-up to Ulloa as he will be unfit and probably unfamiliar with our style. We our thin at the back, there is no denying that, but i highly expect a youngster to come in and cover when the loan window opens, for now we can just about get by. There is no reason why we cant finish in the top 6, the Championship is incredibly unpredictable, who predicted Ipswich to be in 7th place at this stage ?

I'm happy with the Stephens signing, that's one I think we've done well with. I am concerned about the gaping hole that keeps getting exposed in the midfield. At Derby Andrews was AWOL and they kept waltzing through us, and it happens at home too. I get that Bridcutt wasn't as influential under Oscar but he was still a competent central midfielder, we haven't replaced that properly IMO. Regarding Oscar and his style, I think the man is doing well with what I believe is a bit of a thin squad, but he said himself he's obsessed with attacking football, where's that then? We barely score any goals and Ulloa sees so little of the ball it's painfully apparent by the big Argies demeanor on the pitch.

QPR, Forest and Leicester also have more money than us and are on course to get large fines for breaking FFP rules.

Will they really be bothered about some poxy fine, which probably isn't going to be enforced anyway, when they are in the Premier League and trousering £120m? I wouldn't have thought so.
Talking of Ipswich, quite a few people had them pegged as dark horses for this season, good squad, experienced manager, finished last season like an express train.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is it still a team game or do you go up because you sign someone who's famous for a rap record and a saying?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm not the crying and stamping my feet because the club has not spent enough on getting players in. I am more then happy with the players we have and expect maybe at least 1 or 2 loan players in

Nobody is crying or stamping their feet, people are posting on a football forum, some of whom are disappointed by our transfer dealings.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Will they really be bothered about some poxy fine, which probably isn't going to be enforced anyway, when they are in the Premier League and trousering £120m? I wouldn't have thought so.
Talking of Ipswich, quite a few people had them pegged as dark horses for this season, good squad, experienced manager, finished last season like an express train.

Unless all of them get promoted, some of them could be in serious trouble, especially Forest by the sounds of it. They've spent over £10 million, and they're only 7 points ahead of us at the moment, perhaps indicating that spending money just for the sake of it might not necessarily improve our squad.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
This is my first post, and I will probably get shot down. We have the best squad we have had in years, but people are so negative. We have no divine right to spend millions on players. Bridcutt was plucked and he turned out to be a magnicent aquitition, who heard of him back then? What's to say, Stephens and Rodriquez won't be quality additions? Remember when we were signing the likes of Colin Hawkins...?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Unless all of them get promoted, some of them could be in serious trouble, especially Forest by the sounds of it. They've spent over £10 million, and they're only 7 points ahead of us at the moment, perhaps indicating that spending money just for the sake of it might not necessarily improve our squad.

Their owner Fawaz is minted, and he's already found ways to navigate FFP much like Sheikh Mansour, even if they do get fined they will be in a very strong position next season.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
QPR, Forest and Leicester also have more money than us and are on course to get large fines for breaking FFP rules.

I know they haven't spent millions, but how can Bournemouth, with average gates of under 9700, afford to pay Grabban more than us and sign Kermorgant? They must be in for a fine?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I know we may have expected more but my view now is cast your mind back to who we were signing 5 years ago.

What are your thoughts?

Still time to go...

Or cast your mind back to the players we were signing a year or two ago (bearing in mind we also kept the likes of Bridcutt, El Abd and Barnes)... Kusazck, Bridge, Upson, Lopez, Orlandi, Ulloa - oh, and Vicente!

Not sure if that was all down to the 'Poyet effect' or not, but this transfer window has been really disappointing - three good players gone, bids turned down, and rejected by a couple of players in favour of other teams. We didn't even get anywhere near the money we should've done for Bridcutt. That article in the Argus a few weeks ago hit the nail on the head. I really don't think the club are serious about challenging for promotion.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
This is my first post, and I will probably get shot down. We have the best squad we have had in years, but people are so negative. We have no divine right to spend millions on players. Bridcutt was plucked and he turned out to be a magnicent aquitition, who heard of him back then? What's to say, Stephens and Rodriquez won't be quality additions? Remember when we were signing the likes of Colin Hawkins...?

New Boy! Quick, someone stick his head down the toilet.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Don't dis' the Hawk!

Stephens and Rodriguez are in no way comparable to Bridcutt. They are older and have established their careers already.

Ince would be a better comparison - signed young from Chelsea, and will prove to be top quality.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Or cast your mind back to the players we were signing a year or two ago (bearing in mind we also kept the likes of Bridcutt, El Abd and Barnes)... Kusazck, Bridge, Upson, Lopez, Orlandi, Ulloa - oh, and Vicente!

Not sure if that was all down to the 'Poyet effect' or not, but this transfer window has been really disappointing - three good players gone, bids turned down, and rejected by a couple of players in favour of other teams. We didn't even get anywhere near the money we should've done for Bridcutt. That article in the Argus a few weeks ago hit the nail on the head. I really don't think the club are serious about challenging for promotion.

All of this. With bells and whistles on.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
People are not even giving these signings a chance, Conway was slaughtered at first. Once our training facility is fully operational expect less signings and more patience in our youth.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I hate threads like this. We have moved on so what is the point in looking back? Do Swansea and Hull fans keep referring to there old days when they were at the Vetch and Boothferry park?

Most Albion fans appreciate our past and troubles but i expect most now just want to move with the times.

This window has been a let down(to date). It's that simple.

Agree but at least Barber has made loads of money to pay towards the training centre

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Regarding Oscar and his style, I think the man is doing well with what I believe is a bit of a thin squad, but he said himself he's obsessed with attacking football, where's that then? We barely score any goals and Ulloa sees so little of the ball it's painfully apparent by the big Argies demeanor on the pitch.

Pace is the problem, the only real pace in the squad is LuaLua and Buckley take them out and we are very pedestrian. When back and flying Buckley on one wing with LuaLua on the other and our game completely changes. Put in Orlandi or Spanish Dave to link the middle and front three and add in Spanish Rodders (hopefully as quick as he says) when needed and good times await.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Pace is the problem, the only real pace in the squad is LuaLua and Buckley take them out and we are very pedestrian. When back and flying Buckley on one wing with LuaLua on the other and our game completely changes. Put in Orlandi or Spanish Dave to link the middle and front three and add in Spanish Rodders (hopefully as quick as he says) when needed and good times await.

I like your optimism, but it's ifs and buts. Buckley is ridiculously injury prone and he has barely had a good game all season. He doesn't get utilised as a true wide man which is reducing his impact. We desperately lack pace, as you've said, and that is what has frustrated me most. I really thought we would invest in a talented winger seeing as we have been so lacklustre in attack this season. I look forward to potentially seeing Orlandi playing inside, Lopez not so much, he's been an astronomical let down this season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here