Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Seagulls signing Stephens wants to combine graft with goals [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]New Seagulls signing Stephens wants to combine graft with goals[/h]5:00am Friday 31st January 2014 in Albion By Brian Owen
2845111.jpg
Dale Stephens will do whatever job is asked of him
Midfielder Dale Stephens wants to go for goal after signing a three-and-a-half year deal with Albion.
But the 24-year-old is ready to dig in to help his new club to the play-offs.
The Charlton Athletic favourite signed for an undisclosed fee believed to be about £500,000 last night.
He is being seen as a replacement for Andrew Crofts, who chipped in with six goals from midfield before seeing his season cut short by a knee injury.
There could be more activity at The Amex before the transfer window closes tonight.
Spanish striker David Rodriguez is interesting the Seagulls although reports in Spain that a deal had been done were premature.
Stephens offers Championship experience and sewed up his move after passing a medical yesterday. He links up with Albion boss Oscar Garcia and assistant Nathan Jones, who he knows from their time together at Charlton.
Stephens said: “I know Oscar likes to play good football and, with Nathan’s influence, it is really appealing to me and one of the major reasons I came to this club.
“Albion have always been a difficult side to come up against and they have always played the best football in any division they have been in.
“I like to get forward and score a few goals but I know I have got responsibilities on the defensive side of things.
“I try to get involved with everything I can but if the manager has a certain role he wants me to play then I will obviously do that, so now my first port of call is meeting the lads and getting in the side.”
Rodriguez would be available to Albion without a transfer fee after he settled up the remaining five months on his contract at top-flight Spanish outfit Celta yesterday.
The lightning fast 27-year-old came through the ranks at Atletico Madrid.
He is s proven second-tier goalscorer in his homeland but was unable to force his way back into the Celta team this season after returning from a loan stint at Sporting Gijon.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here