Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship moves to two seasons a year

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Whilst all the transfer speculation is diverting and entertaining, it has meant the rhythm of the season has changed. And it feels like more so this season than ever before.

We play half a season until Christmas and the teams settle into a broadly merit-based position in the league. Then we have the transfer window where a few rich, or speculative, or just simply irresponsible, clubs spend big in order to bolster their chances of promotion - and the whole balance of the league changes. It almost makes the first half feel pointless - just a holding pattern while the big spenders plan their purchases.

I'm not sure if I am explaining myself very well - but it does make it feel like there are two, consecutive seasons packed between August and May. I want to think "was it ever thus" - but this year feels more extreme with so many clubs spending parachute payments or owners cash in an orgy of buying. It's not an improvement to the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, it's like a bonus for the clubs willing to splash the cash. If they are clever they even weaken the opposition by taking their best players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here