Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR about to sign three strikers

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Doyle, Will Keane and a Brazilian. Poor old Harry, hands tied behind his back as always

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
#Pray4QPR

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Although they have a ridiculous squad, they are actually very light upfront. They only have three strikers - Zamora who is hated by their fans and has just eight appearances and no goals to his name this season, Johnson who can't play more than a handful of games without getting injured and Austin, who has been the big success and their only goalscorer this season but picked up a nasty injury the other night against Bolton and is out for months.

I imagine Harry is now going for quantity in the hope that one of the three will pay off and replace Austin's goals.

Yes, I see his problem. All the tin pot clubs have budgeted and muddled through when injuries occur. But Arry is a PROPER manager, and as such really shouldn't be expected to think about his striker problem until his main championship standard (£4-5m) striker gets injured. Only then should he look at his other two contracted £30k a week strikers, decide they're not good enough, and then bring four other strikers in.

Well done Arry. You've played a blinder here, and you have my deepest sympathies at such rotten luck.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
They should introduce some kind of fairness system that measures the financial happenings at the clubs to ensure they don't spend wildly and make it unfair on other clubs. I'm not sure what they'd call it but if introduced I'm sure it would be strictly regulated and those clubs adhering to said financial fairness system would be rewarded with a more even keel in the league. I'm just thinking outside the box.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We will be once they get a call about what they owe for FFP.
They've got plenty of cash from the parachute payments, so probably not doing as badly as we'd suspect.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
We will be once they get a call about what they owe for FFP.

Nothing will come of it. They'll get promoted and automatically receive a huge cash injection which will offset all the ridiculous spending in the Championship this year. Add that to the parachute payments from their time with the big boys and hoping for FFP comeuppance is a waste of time. I'd love to see them get shafted with it though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with you on the squad planning side of things. Quite why they're paying Benayoun, Kranjcar, Barton, SWP, Phillips, Jenas, Carroll, Hoilett and O'Neil to compete for their midfield positions I don't know when they have only three strikers (and only one of those has been fit all season). I'm by no means defending Harry for that. It's piss poor management and reckless spending on players they simply don't need.

But what I would say is that he didn't bring Zamora or Johnson to QPR and he is lumbered with them because of their wages, so the fact they're picking up a huge sum each week isn't his fault. Although most people might think those two would be proven, high-class Championship players, the reality is Zamora is utterly useless these days and Johnson never fit for long enough to make any sort of impression. So the one striker he has signed is Austin, who has 14 goals in 25 games this season. Now Austin's done his shoulder muscle in, it stands to reason that a club vying for promotion can't sit back and fail to invest in the most important position on the pitch when the last 18 months have proved just how ineffective their only two remaining forwards are.
Well, yes. BUT, once he took the job, you'd have thought he'd assess his squad, write off who he needed to write off (treat it as a "bonus" if he gets anything from BZ/AJ) and then carefully bolster the right parts of the squad with the approved budget.

Instead, he just gets linked to every expensive triffic lad looking for a move, and takes half of them if "we can get a deal done there". No matter that he is now paying £1m a week for 33 different midfielders. The bloke is a spiv, and an arse, and a bang ordinary manager.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They're heading to make a loss of around 40m, even with the Parachute Payments.
Seriously? How can they achieve that (and I say achieve, as that can't be easy)?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Seriously? How can they achieve that (and I say achieve, as that can't be easy)?

Their wage bill last year was something like 80-90m. They've not got rid of enough of the high earners and have apparently still got players on 5m a year contracts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here