Next year

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Next year, we could be millionaires. :smile:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I reckon that we have got at least 4.5 mill as a result of the latest player sales, so let's go spend!:albion2:

In answer to this post: let's not go and spend; let's only buy those players that will enhance our first team or squad. There's currently 16 hours left of the transfer window. Now is not the time for panic buys.
In answer to this thread: good spot. We are taking a long-term view of things. It would be too much to expect Oscar to seal promotion in his first season. He needs time to understand the Championship and his squad. Think we'll see some signings from Spain in the summer: looking forward to it.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
In answer to this post: let's not go and spend; let's only buy those players that will enhance our first team or squad. There's currently 16 hours left of the transfer window. Now is not the time for panic buys.
In answer to this thread: good spot. We are taking a long-term view of things. It would be too much to expect Oscar to seal promotion in his first season. He needs time to understand the Championship and his squad. Think we'll see some signings from Spain in the summer: looking forward to it.

A sensible post which I think a lot of people will agree with, including me !

Whatever next ?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Is it just me or does anybody else think we are setting up for a big push next season?????

Nah

We'll continue to live within our budget, aiming for the Top 6 hoping that one year we'll either finish Top 2 or win the play-offs.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nah

We'll continue to live within our budget, aiming for the Top 6 hoping that one year we'll either finish Top 2 or win the play-offs.

And when we do, having not broken our financial structure to do so in comparison to other clubs, how satisfying it will be.

Won't stop some moaning in the meantime, but I'll enjoy it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nah

That's my guess. We finished 4th last season, despite injuries and only having Ulloa for only half a season, so our owners would have been hoping for promotion this season. Although that's not likely now (thanks to injuries), it's still not out of the question, and we'll be trying.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
We're still in with a shout this year. Just maybe our new recruits will be enough to get us scoring a few more goals, who knows what the playoffs could bring. It's far too early to write this season off!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, its been my thought for some time we're positioning for next season, and playoffs this year would be a bonus. considering he's come in from abroad and inherited someone else's squad, albeit cultured, Oscar is doing pretty well.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
There will be a big clear out in the summer in my opinion.

BUt im liking the players we are interested in.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
im happy if we dont go spending mad and go up whilst being financially responsible

what i dont want us to do is copy palace, which was spend cleverly whilst in the championship, but then undo it all by desperately firing shotguns filled with £50 notes at all the premier league dregs if we make the big time. i reckon if they go down i reckon they are in serious trouble, and if they stay up they've got a squad full of crap on massive wages that they will need to shift

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Nah

And when we do, having not broken our financial structure to do so in comparison to other clubs, how satisfying it will be.

Won't stop some moaning in the meantime, but I'll enjoy it.

Is that a bad thing?

That's my guess. We finished 4th last season, despite injuries and only having Ulloa for only half a season, so our owners would have been hoping for promotion this season. Although that's not likely now (thanks to injuries), it's still not out of the question, and we'll be trying.

We could do a lot worse.

Not complaining at all.

I am enjoying the ride!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Each year will get harder, as the relegated PL clubs will come down with massively enhanced parachute payments and increasingly good players in their squads; whilst the honest Championship clubs abide by FFP on their relatively modest turnover. Hence the mega sod-the-rules push by Leicester and Forest to get in this season before those clubs come down.

I'm personally not bothered about a PL promotion anytime soon. S/t prices would go up steeply and we would have to come accustomed to losing games frequently. I would rather we remained Championship contenders, winning most home games and playing great football, until a promotion happens when we are better prepared.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
We appear to be the "Arsenal" of the Championship.
A well run club that runs to a strict budget with the largest average attendence in the Championship.
There were 8 players out of contract at the end of this season (1 has now left).
When you look at the what happened over the summer and the number of kids playings first team football it amazing we are still where we are.
However, last year's purchase of Ulloa was the push the team needed to mount the challenge that should have seen us promoted.
Have not got that feeling this year after this window.
As "Arsenal" have found out the marquee player needs to earn more than the rest.
We need to realise that if someone is important enough and our No 1 Target then we need to push the boat out to ensure in particular cases we get our No 1 target.
Too often Oscar is left with other options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here