Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Bridcutt for £2.5M... but can he cut it?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Very happy with the £3.25M+ deal, yeah.
Can he cut it in the Prem? Yeah. He won't stand out there though.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Bridcutt can easily establish himself in the PL. There are lesser players than him getting a game. I just wonder if he can hit the ground running, which he'll need to do at Sunderland. Maybe? Having spent most of the year injured and looking at about 70% of his form last year even though he's fit. Maybe not this season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It isn't £2.5 million and is it really called the English Premier League? Anyway it's a good bit of business. Stephens and Ince together should provide a chance for a more fluid midfield.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Against the mid-lower league Prem teams - yes. Against the better teams - not so sure. The only time I can remember him getting mugged off was in the last 20 minutes against Arsenal when Wilshere came on and Bridcutt couldn't get anywhere near him.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Against the mid-lower league Prem teams - yes. Against the better teams - not so sure. The only time I can remember him getting mugged off was in the last 20 minutes against Arsenal when Wilshere came on and Bridcutt couldn't get anywhere near him.

He had a complete mare against Liverpool with two own goals, but yes, I agree with you, he will be ok against most Prem teams.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not convinced that he won't get brushed aside by the bigger, faster more physical players in the Premier League. Gus knows what he is doing though, so another reason I will be following the fortunes of Sunderland.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not convinced that he won't get brushed aside by the bigger, faster more physical players in the Premier League. Gus knows what he is doing though, so another reason I will be following the fortunes of Sunderland.

He's never been brushed aside by the bigger, more physical players in the Championship, so what makes you think it'll be different where he's headed (apart from when he plays a Tony Pulis side)?

If anything, he'll come up against fewer donkeys & carthorses, it will be to his benefit.

Good luck, Liam, I wish you well.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He won't be sharp given his self imposed lack of game time. I think he'll do well but it might be next season when he comes good.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think he'll do alright but if he doesn't then it's Poyet's problem not ours.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Can't begrudge the fella a pop at thr PL. It's the nature of the game and we need to move on. Sunday is a massive game now, so it will be interesting to see who else we get in :)

scooter1

How soon is now?
Has he actually signed for Sunderland yet? Whilst its pretty much a foregone conclusion, there has been nothing official announced

Its a great bit of business for us, but I think he will struggle to make an impact. His defensive work will be fine, but unless he can improve his distribution I think he will struggle. There were too many stray passes when he played for us, and this will get punished at the next level.
Good luck Liam, you're a nice guy. I hope it works out for you up there and GP doesn't throw his toys out of the pram, leaving you high and dry...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's never been brushed aside by the bigger, more physical players in the Championship, so what makes you think it'll be different where he's headed (apart from when he plays a Tony Pulis side)?

If anything, he'll come up against fewer donkeys & carthorses, it will be to his benefit.

Good luck, Liam, I wish you well.

Premier League forwards and midfielders tend to be quicker, more powerful and more skilful than Championship players, I think he might struggle. Stoke and Liverpool being two games that he did struggle in. Time will tell and as I say Gus knows what he's doing on a football pitch so I may well be wrong. Gus himself said that the quality of Premier League players was a big step up from the Championship on a number of occasions, normally after we'd lost against them :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's a superior footballer to Lee Clattermole, so in that basic evidence I'm going with a yes.

My mum is a superior footballer to Lee Cattermole.

I actually find him quite inspiring. If HE can make it as a Premier League footballer, then there really is hope for us all.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not sure he will cut it. Jury's out for me, but at the moment I think we've done very well taking £3.25m.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Bit unfair spoke to a few Arsenal fans after that game and they were all saying how much they liked the look of Bridcutt.

I for one think he can make the step up, hope we have a sell on clause as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here