Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squeaky bum time

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Why do we always seem to leave things till the last possible minute?!? SOMETHING needs to happen in the next 24 hours - in this transfer window we've lost 2 of our biggest players, and we seem to have bought in the new Emile Heskey on loan, and a guy that a fortnight ago most people wouldn't have even heard of. What is it that we're doing, or not doing, that other clubs are doing quite handily - I mean FFS, Doncaster bought in Billy Sharp, a player that I would have loved to see at the AMEX week in week out. We got someone who didn't quite set the world on fire in L1 with Yeovil.

I'm not screaming for big names, but if we don't get, I would say, 3 more in before tonight (Crofts cover, Barnes replacement and, IMO another striker - one who doesn't spend most of his time on his arse would be nice) then we're looking like we're running up the white flag for the season. Genuine quality that makes us stronger, not DS players, or hopeful punts. If we want to mix it with the big boys, we need the quality to do so.

I might add that I've been on the shant since 4, and since most of my drunken posts have been stinkers in the past, I apologize now....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i'm sure a lot of us find it frustrating mate , we just have to keep the faith though......hope conway does come back......not good getting s****** by teams like blackburn...!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
1) Because lots of transfers depend on other transfers going through.

2) Who the hell is the new Emile Heskey?

3) I'd heard of Stephens, it just suggests you don't watch a lot of football. Had you heard of Bridcutt before we signed him? Ashley Barnes? Bobby Zamora?

4) Billy Sharp is a professional Northerner who is incapable of sustained success anywhere south of Yorkshire

5) You're "not screaming for big names"- but then you slate Obika and claim we should have got Sharp...so you are screaming for big names

6) I'm glad I don't sit anywhere near you at the Amex, and even more glad you're not the head of player recruitment at the Albion.

7) You should drink less.

That is all :thumbsup:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Love how incredibly vindictive and nasty this site gets the closer to a deadline, anyone would think we hated each other, not fellow fans.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What's the worst that can happen? We don't sign anyone else, so what?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm sure fans of all clubs outside of the top Premiership teams feel similarly about the transfer window, even though it always feel as if we stand alone, inert, while the rest successfully conclude their business all around us.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why do we always seem to leave things till the last possible minute?!? SOMETHING needs to happen in the next 24 hours - in this transfer window we've lost 2 of our biggest players, and we seem to have bought in the new Emile Heskey on loan, and a guy that a fortnight ago most people wouldn't have even heard of. What is it that we're doing, or not doing, that other clubs are doing quite handily - I mean FFS, Doncaster bought in Billy Sharp, a player that I would have loved to see at the AMEX week in week out. We got someone who didn't quite set the world on fire in L1 with Yeovil.

I'm not screaming for big names, but if we don't get, I would say, 3 more in before tonight (Crofts cover, Barnes replacement and, IMO another striker - one who doesn't spend most of his time on his arse would be nice) then we're looking like we're running up the white flag for the season. Genuine quality that makes us stronger, not DS players, or hopeful punts. If we want to mix it with the big boys, we need the quality to do so.

I might add that I've been on the shant since 4, and since most of my drunken posts have been stinkers in the past, I apologize now....

Apology accepted now go to bed as tomorrow is actually transfer deadline day. Sleep tight

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
1) Because lots of transfers depend on other transfers going through. Granted the funds from LB will help, but there was money before from the sale of Barnes and El Abd?

2) Who the hell is the new Emile Heskey? That'll be Obika - from the little we've seen so far (and I admit, early days) IMO clumsy and wasteful

3) I'd heard of Stephens, it just suggests you don't watch a lot of football. Had you heard of Bridcutt before we signed him? Ashley Barnes? Bobby Zamora? Good for you, I - like many others on the Stephens thread - haven't.

4) Billy Sharp is a professional Northerner who is incapable of sustained success anywhere south of Yorkshire Again, fair point, but he was just an example - Afobe to Sheff Weds, Jutkiewicz to Bolton, Chalobah to Boro, Oneywu to Sheff Weds - clubs no bigger than us really that have attracted quality young players either on loan or permanently

5) You're "not screaming for big names"- but then you slate Obika and claim we should have got Sharp...so you are screaming for big names

6) I'm glad I don't sit anywhere near you at the Amex, and even more glad you're not the head of player recruitment at the Albion.Bit of a snotty comment, but meh.

7) You should drink less. Patronising, but yeah, perhaps!

That is all :thumbsup:

Just my opinions, I admit they might not be everyones, but they're mine.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just my opinions, I admit they might not be everyones, but they're mine.

I'm sort of pulling your chain :)

But not all those signings you cite are going to be superstars. Afobe is probably on a par with Obika- gets loaned out constantly to League clubs, not a hope of making it into the first team at his parent club. Chalobah flopped at (?) Forest, Jutkiewicz is hardly prolific.

I also accept that, in the small bits of games that he's appeared in, Obika hasn't quite looked the part (but nor has Ulloa recently)...on the other hand, he's started one game for us and scored one goal...so you never know, he might turn out alright. I thought he played OK at Port Vale, albeit against lower standard opposition. Let's get behind him instead of writing him off completely. That goal should give him confidence.

Oh, and we didn't get a lot for El Abd. Was sort of a fire sale thing I believe. Barnes, OK, point taken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here