Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i phoners

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My niece has a problem with her i phone. When she tries to delete emails from her phone, it deletes them completely, not just from the phone. Any body know which buttons to press to just delete them from the phone. Thankyou muchly in advance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That won't be the phone, it will be the email account setup.

If I delete an email from my Gmail account on my phone, it is deleted at the mailbox itself so when I access the email from another device I do not see that email (unless I navigate to trash). Is this what it's doing? If so, why doesn't she want that feature?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That won't be the phone, it will be the email account setup.

If I delete an email from my Gmail account on my phone, it is deleted at the mailbox itself so when I access the email from another device I do not see that email (unless I navigate to trash). Is this what it's doing? If so, why doesn't she want that feature?

Presumably she wants to get rid of some emails on the phone but keep a record of some on another device. She says, she at one time could do this.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Thankyou Bozza. I will pass it on.

Presumably the email account has been setup as an IMAP account rather than a POP3 account. So the messages are those on the mail server, rather than been downloaded and stored/deleted on the phone itself.

As said above, it's not a problem with the phone, just the way it has been setup.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Yep, If it's IMAP (and it probably is) you are deleting the messages from the actual email server, not locally stored copies.
Not a problem with the account set up as such (as it's actually a better way to set things up) but you do need to be aware that once you delete, it's gone.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My niece has a problem with her i phone. When she tries to delete emails from her phone, it deletes them completely, not just from the phone. Any body know which buttons to press to just delete them from the phone. Thankyou muchly in advance.

Why would someone wish to delete from the phone but not from the account?

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
If she wants to get the email off the phone but keep it in the mail server, maybe she could create a folder to send all the unwanted ones to? That way, she can de-clutter them from her phone, but still have access to them on the email server/computer.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If she wants to get the email off the phone but keep it in the mail server, maybe she could create a folder to send all the unwanted ones to? That way, she can de-clutter them from her phone, but still have access to them on the email server/computer.

This. Or even just add Flag to the messages that are significant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here