Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

buying a new car

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife and I are thinking of buying a new car, to be probably our last and downsizing from our Octavia. We have looked at 2 that appear to be VFM, a Kia Picanto and a Dacia Sanderosa made by Renault the problem is for a test drive both agents said it is about a 4 mile round trip which doesnt give a true appraisal of performance comfort etc. I want to hire 1 and drive to Southmpton or Portsmouth and back to get town and open road experience but due to insurance and the mileage neither can provide extented test drive. Does any body know of a self drive company or garage anywhere in SE England who may be able to help or does anybody own one who can give me some opinons.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
never had problems test driving cars, normally sign the form and take the car for as long as reqd,
when I bought my Kia sportage we were given one for 24 hours to try.

Had a similar experience when choosing our next motability car. I was amazed at the difference in different dealers attitudes.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would ask the dealer if he really expects you to part with the best part of ten grand after trying something for 15 minutes.

D

Deleted member 2719

You right in wanting to do a long test drive in anything to do with renault!!

Personally i would go for a hyundai or a fabia.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On another note, I have a Picanto bought new in 2011. Very pleased with it in terms of comfort and value for money.

However this is in Malta so no idea what it's like for long journeys. I also think you may find it underpowered for UK driving. Here max speeds tend to be around 40-50 mph so it's fine for that.

Good town car but check servicing costs and intervals to maintain the 7 year warranty. This is fine here, but I do remember main dealership servicing charges being very high in England.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
I would ask the dealer if he really expects you to part with the best part of ten grand after trying something for 15 minutes.

So so wrong! That is not how you go about buying a car, certainly not if you want to be taken seriously....

BEN12360

Dec 30, 2012
Wife and I are thinking of buying a new car, to be probably our last and downsizing from our Octavia. We have looked at 2 that appear to be VFM, a Kia Picanto and a Dacia Sanderosa made by Renault the problem is for a test drive both agents said it is about a 4 mile round trip which doesnt give a true appraisal of performance comfort etc. I want to hire 1 and drive to Southmpton or Portsmouth and back to get town and open road experience but due to insurance and the mileage neither can provide extented test drive. Does any body know of a self drive company or garage anywhere in SE England who may be able to help or does anybody own one who can give me some opinons.

I can potentially help with this..........certainly the Skoda

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Had a look at the Dacia website having seen the adverts and how cheap they were. Problem was with the spec, eg manual windows, manually adjusted door mirrors etc. Have you considered getting a nearly new car for the same price?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

I spent 22k on a 3 year old car, only seeing a written description on a Brummie website, not even a photo. Marvellous it is tho

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't buy a brand new car, personally I think it's worth doing some research on cars you would like to own and have a look at the used car market.

My parents were looking at buying a new car for their retirement to last a long time and were too spoiled for choice.

My advice was to look at all cars that fitted their requirements, then check sites like autotrader for cars that fall in that budget, when you start to narrow it down you can find some good cars for good money.

They ended up buying a top spec Toyota Auris on a 57 plate for £7k (4 years ago) with 27k miles on it. With a dealer FSH and warranty included from a used car dealership.

It's not my choice of car personally but it's a good a good car none the less and worth every penny and the only time it's been to the garage is for interim service and an unblemished mot history without an advisory as yet.

In the last two weeks the media has reported an upturn in new car sales so there is a fall in used car prices as people trade in.

There are a lot of cracking deals to be had out there on virtually new cars that are just as good as brand new....... If you know what you're looking for.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Don't buy a car the cyclists are overtaking!!!!!! They don't care how old you are! They want the road!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
We've had Renaults for the past 15 years and love them. Our first was a 3-year-old Laguna, then p/exed it for a brand new one, which we had to sell to go to Greece to live, where we bought a brand new Megane. That got stolen, so we bought yet another brand new Megane, which was still as new 6 years later. Sold that to come home to UK, now have yet another brand-new Megane. All excellent cars.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So so wrong! That is not how you go about buying a car, certainly not if you want to be taken seriously....

Just how do you go about being taken seriously when buying a new car?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Don't buy a car remotely French in anyway. They're crap, and soon develop anything from niggle-y electrical faults to major problems.

Very much this, woke up one morning the find the screen wipers going, it hadn't rained for over a week!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Don't buy a car remotely French in anyway. They're crap, and soon develop anything from niggle-y electrical faults to major problems.

Do buy French cars. My last 4 have been great with no problems and have sailed through services and MOT's without any extra costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here