Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This day in 1984.. Great scenes at the Goldstone

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
League Champions Liverpool, with a full strength side, are beaten in the FA Cup with the two goals in two minutes by Gerry Ryan and Terry Connor.

A Sunday game on National TV and glorious Sunny day at the old ground.

Great memories

League Champions Liverpool, with a full strength side, are beaten in the FA Cup with the two goals in two minutes by Gerry Ryan and Terry Connor.

A Sunday game on National TV and glorious Sunny day at the old ground.

Great memories

I was at that one as well, sunny but bitterly cold. Two similar goals in two minutes, Corrigan played out of his skin in goal and Liverpool forwards had a "...cows backside with a banjo" sort of afternoon. The Scousers didn't play well at all - remember one of their team taking a great short corner to nobody.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Amazing game. The first that I attended under my own steam and saw a terrific Albion performance from the front of the southwest terrace. I ruddy LOVED Terry Connor.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, Terry Connor was ACES. His winner against Swansea the round previously was quality. Acrobatic overhead kick in front of the north stand I recall.

As for Liverpool, I wasn't there but watched it on ITV and two of my class mates were on TELLY at the end.

Lovely the way two bin dippers both helpfully stand aside to allow Steve Penney to make the killer pass. Was football all that good in those days? It was the following year when Eric Young displayed similar levels of incompetence to those Liverpool midfielders by chaperoning/waving Glenn Cockerill through into our six yard box when Southampton beat us in the quarter finals.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Yes, Terry Connor was ACES. His winner against Swansea the round previously was quality. Acrobatic overhead kick in front of the north stand I recall.

As for Liverpool, I wasn't there but watched it on ITV and two of my class mates were on TELLY at the end.

Lovely the way two bin dippers both helpfully stand aside to allow Steve Penney to make the killer pass. Was football all that good in those days? It was the following year when Eric Young displayed similar levels of incompetence to those Liverpool midfielders by chaperoning/waving Glenn Cockerill through into our six yard box when Southampton beat us in the quarter finals.

Hard to believe that was the last time we were in the draw for the last eight. I assume we will be an 'or' in it this year.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Sure I remember (I was on the Chicken Run) Jimmy Case crunching into Souness in the centre circle somewhere towards the end of the first half? Which meant he was pretty much useless for the rest of the game. Which probably helped!

Westport to Hove

Sep 29, 2013
Was in a pub outside Anfield 2 years ago and we drew Stoke at home in the QF.... Unfortunately with the slight drawback of playing Liverpool first....back to 84,was in the North as well that day.. Liverpool won the other three trophies they entered that season, first division league cup and European Cup...some achievement by us that day.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sure I remember (I was on the Chicken Run) Jimmy Case crunching into Souness in the centre circle somewhere towards the end of the first half? Which meant he was pretty much useless for the rest of the game. Which probably helped!

Did Jimmy run on from the terraces? ('cos he was suspended for the game, and couldn't play).

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Did Jimmy run on from the terraces? ('cos he was suspended for the game, and couldn't play).

Just checked in Carder/Harris. My apologies, you are right! My memory must be going. I am sure someone did him though. Foster? Danny Wilson?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just checked in Carder/Harris. My apologies, you are right! My memory must be going. I am sure someone did him though. Foster? Danny Wilson?

Dunno (I was at the game, but if you expect me to remember that sort of detail 30 years later, you're aving a larf). Anyway, there are 19 minutes of highlights here (courtesy of Goldstone Rapper's excellent blog) so you can check to see if that incident is included.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If the full video is available at the final whistle I was first one on the pitch and gave Connor a hug - had a green jumper on and was in the West lower standing.

We were right behind the Liverpool dug out and I am sure Souness was subbed and when he came off got some serious abuse from us but boy did he look mean and stared us out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here