Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much influence does Oscar have on determining transfer targets?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Agree, and although Ince was signed in Poyet's tenure, he was actually a Burke Dev signing as was March. So it swings back to our scouting system doing a good job.

He may have been a development squad signing but as the squad is made up of professional players, and not youth team players, Poyet would have still had final say in who we were recruiting at that level as well.

Just like when a player is moving from Youth to a Pro contract it's the manager who makes the decision based on assessments and advice from the youth team coaches.

The final say on all professional players will lay with the first team manager.

There is no point in us bringing in a player at even development level if the manager doesn't like the look of them and approve the signing as they will never progress/find it very hard to progress to the first team.

You'll find the manger is more willing to take a risk on a player at that level though as they will be cheaper, younger and can still be developed (hence it's name), which is why we see a higher turn over of players in the development squad.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Anyone else find themselves refreshing the NSC and Argus websites waiting for some GOOD news?!! :glare:

Yes and add Twitter to that list! Even though I know that we won't have any news until the earliest Friday morning. Now that Gus has waited this long there is no way he is going to amend his offer until he really has to. Are Sunderland playing Saturday? If so this might have a bearing on when they want to tie up the Bridders deal.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is anybody surprised that it seems few of our signings and transfer targets seem to be 'Oscar Garcia' influenced. It's obviously Burke's role to bring in the players but it seems to be more recommendations from Burke and Nathan Jones (Obika, Stevens) rather than Oscar himself.

I think we all assumed Oscar would be using his continental knowledge and contacts and we might see some gems from abroad, I can't imagine he had much influence and/or was aware of many of the players below before we signed them?

Rohan Ince
Matthew Upson
Adam Chicksen
Kemy Agustien
Jeffrey Monakana
Stephen Ward
Keith Andrews
Leroy Lita
Jonathan Obika

Pertsonally I would be confident that Oscar has been at least consulted before any signings were made since he has been here. I would hope - and actually imagine - that he actually OK's signings, precisely because there is not much point in signing someone unless the boss can see there might be a place for them now or in the future.

It is strongly in the interest of the club to put together a scouting/transfer mechanism that can operate regardless of who the manager is. I would imagine that the manager identifies the position/type of player that is interested in, and then the scouting team will come back with a list of different options for OG to pour over. The bottom line is that no player will be signed without the manager's seal of approval.

Would this be the point where I remind people of the suggestion that they listen to the David Burke interview on The Albion Roar?

http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

Agree, and although Ince was signed in Poyet's tenure, he was actually a Burke Dev signing as was March. So it swings back to our scouting system doing a good job.

Nope. Solly March's time at Brighton pre-dates David Burke.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nope. Solly March's time at Brighton pre-dates David Burke.

Think I saw him playing in the ressies, or pre-season game at Woodside Road, he looked very good then, and a certain Dick Knight who was there told us then that he was one to watch. I must confess, I thought that was longer ago than 2011, but as Solly signed in 2011, I guess not.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Think I saw him playing in the ressies, or pre-season game at Woodside Road, he looked very good then, and a certain Dick Knight who was there told us then that he was one to watch. I must confess, I thought that was longer ago than 2011, but as Solly signed in 2011, I guess not.

Wikipedia doesn't say it - and I can't be arsed to go plumbing t'interweb now - but I'm pretty sure he was with us as a youngster, went to Lewes, and then came back in 2011.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

March has has been her much longer than Burke being n his current role. Hinsh was stil head of the youth team when March joined from Lewes.

*Edit aleady pointed out by TLO.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Wikipedia doesn't say it - and I can't be arsed to go plumbing t'interweb now - but I'm pretty sure he was with us as a youngster, went to Lewes, and then came back in 2011.

March joined the Crystal Palace academy at the age of 10 or 11, having been scouted at a football camp by them. He was released at the age of 15. He then played for a number of local clubs before joining Lewes. During season 2011-12 he shone in their youth team (and played once for the first team) before signing for Albion on December 1 2011 (Newcastle had invited him for a trial, and Millwall had offered him a contract).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here