Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much influence does Oscar have on determining transfer targets?

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Is anybody surprised that it seems few of our signings and transfer targets seem to be 'Oscar Garcia' influenced. It's obviously Burke's role to bring in the players but it seems to be more recommendations from Burke and Nathan Jones (Obika, Stevens) rather than Oscar himself.

I think we all assumed Oscar would be using his continental knowledge and contacts and we might see some gems from abroad, I can't imagine he had much influence and/or was aware of many of the players below before we signed them?

Rohan Ince
Matthew Upson
Adam Chicksen
Kemy Agustien
Jeffrey Monakana
Stephen Ward
Keith Andrews
Leroy Lita
Jonathan Obika

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Rohan Ince was signed under Poyet. Upson had already played here on loan and was a full international so doesn't really count as he's going to be known to most managers.

It's already been mentioned that Bloom was impressed with the knowledge that Oscar had on the current squad at his interview. As has also been mentioned many times on here, Oscar has final say on who we bring in, he leaves the leg work on the scouting and negotiations to Burke and his team.

It works a bit like this -

Oscar decides we need a new player and discusses this with Burke to see what players have already been scouted and they believe we have a good chance of being able to sign.

Oscar then studies the players identified in the previous step, decides if any of these players will be suitable and either gets Burke and co to start the negotiation process or scout some more players.

Obviously any manager worth his salt is going to trust the judgement of his assistant which is why we are seeing some players that Nathan Jones has worked with before coming in.

Just because Oscar didn't play or manage in this country before doesn't mean he doesn't know about players over here. We've also got a big scouting team now and it makes sense that Oscar is using this to identify players.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pertsonally I would be confident that Oscar has been at least consulted before any signings were made since he has been here. I would hope - and actually imagine - that he actually OK's signings, precisely because there is not much point in signing someone unless the boss can see there might be a place for them now or in the future.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oscar does not have a history of bringing in lots of 'his' players, or demanding signings. He only signed two players at Maccabi, and he seems happy with the input of others at Brighton. I think, and hope, that this is only temporary. I think he knows La Liga well, and has amazing contacts at Barcelona, and think/hope we'll see some movement from there in the summer. There was no Spanish armada earlier in the season as he was assessing the squad. There is none now, because the timing is wrong, as it'll take time for players to settle.
Also note that we've made few signings, and secured more loan deals. I'm of the view that this is all part of allowing Oscar to put his stamp on the squad in the summer.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Rohan Ince was signed under Poyet. Upson had already played here on loan and was a full international so doesn't really count as he's going to be known to most managers.

It's already been mentioned that Bloom was impressed with the knowledge that Oscar had on the current squad at his interview. As has also been mentioned many times on here, Oscar has final say on who we bring in, he leaves the leg work on the scouting and negotiations to Burke and his team.

It works a bit like this -

Oscar decides we need a new player and discusses this with Burke to see what players have already been scouted and they believe we have a good chance of being able to sign.

Oscar then studies the players identified in the previous step, decides if any of these players will be suitable and either gets Burke and co to start the negotiation process or scout some more players.

Obviously any manager worth his salt is going to trust the judgement of his assistant which is why we are seeing some players that Nathan Jones has worked with before coming in.

Just because Oscar didn't play or manage in this country before doesn't mean he doesn't know about players over here. We've also got a big scouting team now and it makes sense that Oscar is using this to identify players.

Agree, and although Ince was signed in Poyet's tenure, he was actually a Burke Dev signing as was March. So it swings back to our scouting system doing a good job.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Oh goody I've not seen anyone ask this question before :dunce:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Getting really strong deja vu...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I really don't know where this concept of "Oscar's Players" comes from. Is it just the delusion that because he's got Barca contacts that we are going to sign every spaniard that becomes available? There's an obvious system that's been in place - Oscar has his place in it but it isn't detecting new players. Sure, if he has someone i'm sure he has the ability to voice it to Burke/TB/Barber and they'll do the relevant work to see if it is viable but in NO way does it means we're going to become Barca/Maccabi MkII.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It is strongly in the interest of the club to put together a scouting/transfer mechanism that can operate regardless of who the manager is. I would imagine that the manager identifies the position/type of player that is interested in, and then the scouting team will come back with a list of different options for OG to pour over. The bottom line is that no player will be signed without the manager's seal of approval.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It is strongly in the interest of the club to put together a scouting/transfer mechanism that can operate regardless of who the manager is. I would imagine that the manager identifies the position/type of player that is interested in, and then the scouting team will come back with a list of different options for OG to pour over. The bottom line is that no player will be signed without the manager's seal of approval.

Bingo an all round sensible post.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Burke and his posse fire up footy manager.
Put in the criteria of people who can't get a game and are cheap. Come up with a shortlist.
Ask Oscar if he has seen or heard of Leroy Lita or Gary Caldwell or Benjani Mwaruwari before
Oscar says "No"
They hand him a 'Premier League Years 2007/8 DVD and point out which players they are talking about'
Oscar Shrugs.
The offer is made for whichever one makes Oscar turn from sad cat face to not-so-sad cat face

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Allegedly Oscar has been using Nathan Jones as a go between with Burke to get over the language barrier. Nathan hasn't fancied all these Barca B players OG is coming up with so he's been changing the names in the meetings. Oscar, oblivious to what's going on, nodding away with Nathan giving him reassuring smiles. I understand Terry Skiverton has been lined up to replace El-Abd.

Maybe.

:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here