Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wilf.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nice find.

Incidentally, they're not in another country, but I don't expect half of NSC to realise that, let alone Zaha.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Wales is a country that is part of the United Kingdom and the island of Great Britain, bordered by England to its east and the Atlantic Ocean and Irish Sea to its west. (WIKI)

A country is a region legally identified as a distinct entity in political geography. A country may be an independent sovereign state or one that is occupied by another state, as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division, or a geographic region associated with sets of previously independent or differently associated peoples with distinct political characteristics.

Hmm could be???

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nice find.

Incidentally, they're not in another country, but I don't expect half of NSC to realise that, let alone Zaha.

Erm, Wales (/ˈweɪlz/; Welsh: Cymru [ˈkəm.rɨ] is a country that is part of the United Kingdom and the island of Great Britain.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Wales is a country in its own right.
The united Kingdom and Great Britain are a group of countries.
Those saying Wales is not an independent country are wrong.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Are Cardiff in the Championship? I thought they were in the Prem!?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wales is a country, just a bit of a shite one, but more importantly they have their own F.A. and a Welsh League, so it is not so daft to ask why they play in the English Leagues. We have to get international clearance from the Welsh F.A. when we sign a player from Cardiff or Swansea, even though we all play in the English Leagues. I am with Zaha, tell me why, how and when this strange state of affairs came to be?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't expect half of NSC to realise that, let alone Zaha.
Looks like I was right.

Ooooh explain?
I think the it was accepted that the following 8 criteria needed to be met for a nation to be a country:

1. Has space or territory that has internationally recognized boundaries (boundary disputes are OK).
2. Has people who live there on an ongoing basis.
3. Has economic activity and an organized economy. A country regulates foreign and domestic trade and issues money.
4. Has the power of social engineering, such as education.
5. Has a transportation system for moving goods and people.
6. Has a government that provides public services and police power.
7. Has sovereignty. No other State should have power over the country's territory.
8. Has external recognition. A country has been "voted into the club" by other countries.

England and Wales only pass 1 & 2.

Although I don't think there's a worldwide accepted definition of the term (I don't think there's anything the world does agree on) there are some definitions that are accepted by many countries, and neither Wales or England are countries by any of those definitions. Scotland isn't either, but it's closer than we are (as it has more independent control).

Obviously our government has to pretend we're all individual countries, because to tell the truth would be a huge vote loser.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They may be Welsh but I'll bet most of them can write a sentence in English better than him, they may even include a couple of capital letters too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wales is a country
It's not, but don't worry yourself about it.
more importantly they have their own F.A. and a Welsh League, so it is not so daft to ask why they play in the English Leagues. We have to get international clearance from the Welsh F.A. when we sign a player from Cardiff or Swansea, even though we all play in the English Leagues. I am with Zaha, tell me why, how and when this strange state of affairs came to be?
Can't remember the details, but Welsh clubs were offered the choice many years ago when certain leagues were formed, and Cardiff chose the league with English clubs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here