Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll : Scottish Independence vote and wanting to "Keep The Pound"

Should Scotland be allowed to retain the Pound if they vote YES to independence?

• YES - let's be all neighbourly.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • NO - so long sweaties!!

Votes: 130 87.2%

• Total voters

larus

As Mark Carney is with the sweaties today to have 'technical' discussions on a currency union, what's the view of the learned chaps (and ladies) of NSC as to this.

IF they vote for independence, should the rest of the UK allow them retain the use of the Pound.

Personally, I hope they vote against independence, as I very much favour the Union. I accept that there is a transfer of wealth around the UK from wealthier parts to poorer parts via centralised taxation, and but this I believe makes the whole UK stronger. However, if they want independence, then take it and all that it entails and stand on their own.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
They will never vote for independence. If they did vote yes and got what they wanted, they would be about as independent as a new born child. Salmond is just a huge egotist running up a huge bill for what will eventually be a very damp squib.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Close the door on your way out....

They seem to think that they deserve special treatment, keep the pound although they have graciously offer to accept a share of the national debt for this. Which is good of em since they have been taking a greater share of national spending for decades. I would like to see the English have some say in what happens rather than be passive observers and bankrolling people who resent us for doing so....

If they decide that they want to go it alone, good luck to em...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Why don't they get their own currency?

They won't want to be tied to Sterling when Westminster isn't holding their Tiger Economy back? ???

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
IF they indeed did gain independence they would love to keep the pound but for the rest of the 'United' Kingdom surely it would be a massive risk economically for 'us' to let them keep the Pound.
If they flounder, which of course is a big possibility, that will effect all of us.

I personally couldnt care less if they gained independence or not, for me if the majority of people want self-autonomy (for example in Catalonia, though i dont think in Scotland) they should be allowed that right, but they simply cant just pick and choose what aspects of their previous 'rule' they want to keep or discard.

larus

Close the door on your way out....

They seem to think that they deserve special treatment, keep the pound although they have graciously offer to accept a share of the national debt for this. Which is good of em since they have been taking a greater share of national spending for decades. I would like to see the English have some say in what happens rather than be passive observers and bankrolling people who resent us for doing so....

If they decide that they want to go it alone, good luck to em...

My thoughts entirely. They bleat on about North Sea Oil & Gas and the revenue this brings in, but ignore the other benefits they get.
However, I do think that they will say No to independence as they won't want to take such a huge risk.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The latest opinion polls in Scotland suggest the result could be neck and neck as the campaign to garner a YES vote gathers momentum. Scotland should be allowed to retain the pound. With independence for Scotland this will shift the balance in favour of England , Wales and NI leaving the EU after a referendum of staying IN or OUT. There will be no referendum on leaving the EU if Labour return to power.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Depends if the rest of the UK would benefit from Scotland keeping the pound surely. Basically, if they vote yes (and I think they won't) then England, Wales and NI would make a call based upon what's good for us. Scots have nothing to do with it anymore.

This has got be be a banana skin for Salmond. He wants out of the UK but sees economic strength in us sticking together with the pound. Politically, this has got to be shakey ground for him?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know a lot about the technicalities of this, but surely if they go it alone while choosing to keep sterling as their currency, then they are once again at the mercy of the hated Westminster government (or, the Bank of England) when it comes to a key strategic part of their economy?

Wouldn't that make it a bit of a half arsed independence?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They can use blocks of Lard as currency as it's very handy for frying all sorts of things.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think you should have some more options there. I want them to stay part of the UK (and think they will)... But if they don't want to be, they really can get stuffed! They'll need their own currency, their own passport system, their own transport system, etc.

Edit: Having read your entire post, I have exactly the same views as you.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does anyone on here understand all the intricacies of financial union v financial independence?

I don't think anyone in Scotland does, let alone here. To be honest the ramifications are so complicated, it's hardly surprising. I think the decision is therefore likely to be made on a more ideological basis, which perhaps isn't ideal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tired of the whole subject now, principally because there is no way on Earth that Scotland will vote for independence, for a number of reasons.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
This independence scotland thing is silly.

a) only celtic fans want it.
b) as interest rates and inflation will still be set in london they won't be independent at all.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
As Mark Carney is with the sweaties today to have 'technical' discussions on a currency union, what's the view of the learned chaps (and ladies) of NSC as to this.

IF they vote for independence, should the rest of the UK allow them retain the use of the Pound.

Personally, I hope they vote against independence, as I very much favour the Union. I accept that there is a transfer of wealth around the UK from wealthier parts to poorer parts via centralised taxation, and but this I believe makes the whole UK stronger. However, if they want independence, then take it and all that it entails and stand on their own.

This

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think we want an independent nation having an influence on our currency, so perhaps they should have their own, and then adopt the Euro at some point in the future if the want.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Exactly.

The Scottish people are as tired with mainstream politics as anyone else - but they're not stupid. It will never happen.

Latest opinion polls suggest otherwise 37% YES (up 5%) 44% NO (down 5%) 19% UNDECIDED (no change) The previous poll was held in September.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here