Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making a Will

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Time to get this done. Who do the sages of NSC recommend and what should I expect to pay? Cheers

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Buy a will kit in a stationers.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Time to get this done. Who do the sages of NSC recommend and what should I expect to pay? Cheers

Same here. Is there just a box that I can tick online that says all my stuff goes to the kids in the unlikely event I ever die ? I keep putting it off.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Same here. Is there just a box that I can tick online that says all my stuff goes to the kids in the unlikely event I ever die ? I keep putting it off.

Something you want to tell us ???

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Many charities offer a free will writing service ( the will is done by a proffesional ) on the understanding that you leave the charity a little donation in the will.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

On the bright side, if you put it off forever, you wont need a Will.

I helped my Mum write her Will and it was executed without difficulty and have written my own Will. A solicitor should only be needed if there is anything contentious or you need to use tax avoidance schemes by setting up Trusts. I used a couple of self help books from Hove library. Wills for Dummies and Which? were useful.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We had ours done a few years ago. Got it done free as my wife is a nurse and the RCN offer it as service. If you are a member of a union or professional body you should check to see if the provide the service.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Do it now by what ever means are available. My late wife died intestate and the hoops you have to jump through to just claim life insurance are immense. It took about three months of form filling and sitting in front of a judge to prove who you are.

Do it now by what ever means are available. My late wife died intestate and the hoops you have to jump through to just claim life insurance are immense. It took about three months of form filling and sitting in front of a judge to prove who you are.

Agree 100% with this, my father died intestate and it was nothing but hassle for me not least from his brothers and sisters. Not having a valid will is just so selfish imo.

My wife and I recently had new wills drawn up by our solicitor as the kids are now in their 20's and have left home. The wills are not the same, multi scenario, we have individual shares and other assets. Total cost including VAT was £168.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you're married with kids then I would say it's essential to get this properly drawn up. You can significantly reduce your inheritance tax burden through planning how your estate is left to your family.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
One little tip, if you are leaving any money to a charity or to the church, leave a specific amount not a percentage. My mate's uncle died and being the lovely chap he was left 5% to the church, 5% to the lib dems (I said lovely not sensible) and 5% to a local charity in London. The will became a nightmare for my mate to sort out as the greedy b***ards wanted proof of everything he had owned, the sales prices, triple valuations etc to ensure they got exactly their 5% causing much stress and upset to the family who were mourning a loved one not a cash cow. If he had just specified £5000 or whatever the money could have been released several month earlier.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I might leave Bruno a collection of pelts i have peeled from the roadside down the years. I'll pay a professional to weave the fox and badger ones into an ace speckled black and red nightgown for the winter. And perhaps a rat-hat with still the tails attached. The rest would arrive raw and only conditioned by my skin-ironing hands.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Can't remember what I paid. One good key point though was for the will to refer to a manifest. The detail shown on the manifest can be amended without the need to revise the will. So, in our wills, there are some charity donations. We can amend the charities if we want without paying any more.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree 100% with this, my father died intestate and it was nothing but hassle for me not least from his brothers and sisters. Not having a valid will is just so selfish imo.

My wife and I recently had new wills drawn up by our solicitor as the kids are now in their 20's and have left home. The wills are not the same, multi scenario, we have individual shares and other assets. Total cost including VAT was £168.

I'm not entirely sure it makes much difference as I am an executor for my late mothers estate. She had a will but it still took us 4 months to sort out access to bank and savings accounts, life assurance and pension. The delay is more with getting probate than dealing with the various companies. You only get probate once you have sorted out whether you ow any Inheritance Tax and that was the form that took an age to sort out as you need to get values for most things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here