Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last 5 league ganes - 1/1/1/0/0

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Surely I am not the only one that is bored to death by this one up front. 3 goals in the last 5 league games- Leo is getting more and more frustrated from living off scraps, he would be far, far better with a man to support him.

I also feel for those that travel to away games as 0-0 is the most common result is it not?

Oscar said he was all about attacking. Is this really true? The stats would certainly suggest otherwise.

Anyone else want to see us attack a bit more and go away from home looking for a little more than a 0-0?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I agree with the one up front thing. We are simply not taking enough chances. I also think if we are going to play one up front we need to play through the middle a bit more

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO we are suffering by not getting sufficient goals from the midfield/wide men. Last season Buckley, Lua Lua Crofts and Lopez were scoring this season mainly due to injuries only Crofts has managed it but now obviously that has dried up, so I believe that we should be looking at replacing him this week or during the loan window. If we do so and with CMS coming back gradually, all will be well again.

The hope is that we can keep in touch with the play off positions while this happens. 0 -0 away from home is the recipe for success if on the odd occasion we can nick 1 goal and then win at home.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Was at derby recently which was the game Steve claridge said on the football league show we were very negative and went for the nil nil creating next to nothing. Looking at jones' comments in BBC last night it would appear he was asked the same question. Maybe our reputation of a team playing the right way is changing to a less favourable one. The issue is we lack creativity, we have a hardworking team but can't play between the lines and stretch teams. We seem to be relying more in set pieces more and more.

Oscar was built up as an attacking version of Gus. Yes we are happy to go a bit more direct but that does not mean attacking. Leicester have just won 8 on the trot and that's by playing 2 up front with 2 or 3 bombing on at every opportunity from midfield. Clearly, this leaves them open and get beat at times. We picked them off nicely at the Amex and actually took our chances that day. But it's proven at this level with previous teams going up like Southampton, reading etc.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Oscar was built up as an attacking version of Gus. Yes we are happy to go a bit more direct but that does not mean attacking. Leicester have just won 8 on the trot and that's by playing 2 up front with 2 or 3 bombing on at every opportunity from midfield. Clearly, this leaves them open and get beat at times. We picked them off nicely at the Amex and actually took our chances that day. But it's proven at this level with previous teams going up like Southampton, reading etc.

Good post. Teams at the top of the premier and Champ are attacking teams. I love the Man city model- you score 2? No probs, we will score 4.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Our goal scoring and attacking threat started to tail off when we lost Conway and has been further compounded by injuries to Buckley, LuaLua and Crofts and the sale of Barnes. It doesn't take a genius to work out that it's a bit difficult to play attacking football when you've lost most of your attackers, Oscar is doing a brilliant job with the players at his disposal but we are in desperate need of reinforcements before the window closes.

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
I have long felt, as a team even under Poyet we lackdd confidence. That we could nit take the game to teams home or away. Injuries this season have played a part, and a settled side with fit wingers and supporting striker would see much more free flowing football.
I believe we have seen enough at times to suggest Oscar does want to attack, but has rarely had the personnel fit tk do so.
Derby away was a classic example of nkt having confidence in ourselves. After 25 mjns the team should have realised Derby were there to be beaten!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We're fine away, we just need the transfer window to end & settle down. Our goals scored at 30 IS the lowest of the 32 clubs in the top 8 in all 4 divs BUT we will step up for the 4 home games ( & beyond) & things will look rosier in a month.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We persist with 1 up front but don't support him quickly enough from midfield. Ulloa gets very isolated and is made to look very ordinary.. He certainly isn't this..... It been quite evident on many occasions also that when we counter we are desperately slow getting forward with any kind of numbers and moves breakdown. Playing 2 holding midfielders says it all IMO. There's no need and it's extremely negative, having said that, we are only a few points of the play offs and in a good position to push on to the end. This transfer window is vital to our promotion hopes and I hope we get the right players in, if any, and not just panic buy certain players regardless of quality.
If we persist in playing 2 holding midfielders we won't score enough goals to get where we want to be IMO. We have to play a more attacking midfield that supports our isolated striker better. We need to break with pace and play Buckley and lua lua when both fit enough.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
For me, the problem is our midfield. With the exception of crofts it's very pedestrian in terms of drive and creativity. We have some decent players in there but we've never really found our best mix. Under Gus and now Oscar we seem to be constantly searching for the right balance between grit and creativity. In recent games at home our only tactic seems to be trying give it to Kaz in the hope that he can create something.

I don't think we're far off in terms of getting it right this season but, at present, Len is very isolated. On a side note, I'm very disappointed by what I've seen if Kemy thus far. I thought he might be the guy to provide some dynamism in our midfield. While he might still come good, when I've watched him he's seemed sloppy in possession and rather anonymous.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
with 1 up front you have to have 1 or 2 flair midfielders who are very attack minded in free roles when the team have the ball.

Orlandi fits this role, but not when played out wide.

Lopez has been pants all season.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Oscar will only play 1 up front as he said when he joined :lol:

Only the second team to stop burnley scoring at home this season.

Was last night our second/third away 0-0 of the season?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Draw your away games and win the home ones and you'll have a good season.

Hopefully, when CMS is fit we can see him and Ulloa playing up top together and that, in theory, SHOULD provide more goals.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
On a side note, I'm very disappointed by what I've seen if Kemy thus far. I thought he might be the guy to provide some dynamism in our midfield. While he might still come good, when I've watched him he's seemed sloppy in possession and rather anonymous.

I get the feeling Oscar is very much of the same opinion hence why he is picking JFC ahead of him, Like you I thought he'd be a good player for us but for some reason it's not happening.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Boring boring brighton

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's quite an amazing sequence of results...

0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 1-0, 1-1, 1-0, 2-3, 0-0, 1-0

P9 W4 D3 L2 F7 A5

Other than the Charlton game, there's not been a lot to excite the neutrals there.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I am also bored by our style of football. We do not take enough chances and try to win every game 1-0. If the opposition score first we find it almost impossible to get back into the game because we lack creativity. Our tempo is very slow and we are very easy to defend against. After every home game we always here our supporters and management say that the opposition put 10 men behind the ball and made it very difficlut for us. The reason why the opposition had 10 men behind the ball is because we break so slowly and normally make around a 10 passes in our own half. This allows teams to drop back into position and we then lack the creativity to break teams down.

Goals are what make football matches exciting. I just whish I could see more of them at the amex.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I don t think we are negative or boring.
Biggest problem we have is there is a lack of pace in the team.
Ulloa is a great CF but he is unlikely to run beyond anyone. Likewise with Lopez wide right he is never going to attack the fullback at pace beat him and whip in a cross.
Crofts was the man who has been bombing on and scoring goals and that needs replacing.
People saying play 2 up maybe right but you need 2 forwards to compliment each other and we have not had that for a while.
If Wickham and Conway comes i can see us scoring a lot more as especially at home but also away as there will be more pace and a greater ability to put the ball in a dangerous area.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Injuries and upheaval mean that we are still in a period of transition. Our defensive record is good, we are not creating enough or putting away those chances that we do create - a similar situation to when Gus was here. As others have said, we are down to the bare bones attacking wise at the moment. With a bit of luck that is about to change...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here