Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Late 1980s team photo

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just found this (courtesy of www.thegoldstonewrap.com) while searching Google for the legend that was Dale Jasper. I think it's the infamous Dean Saunders commando photo if you look closely enough. Would have been my first full season as a supporter. Still like the kit, though the Phoenix Brewery sponsor was preferable to NOBO for some reason.

Am struck by how Barry Lloyd resembles an ageing PE teacher, with his tracksuit scruffily undone.

Just a bit of nostalgia for those of you who can remember back that far. Anyone able to name every player in that? Reckon I can get most, one or two of the youth lads might stump me briefly :thumbsup:

1986-87squadv3.jpg

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Darren Newman???- Steve Gatting- Gerry Armstrong- Gary O'Reilly- Franko Massimo???- David Gipp???
Dale Jasper- Terry Connor- Perry Digweed- Eric Young-?????????
Kieran O'Regan- Steve Penney- Dean Saunders- Danny Wilson- Dennis Mortimer- Chris Hutchings.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Darren Newman???- Steve Gatting- Gerry Armstrong- Gary O'Reilly- Franko Massimo???- David Gipp???
Dale Jasper- Terry Connor- Perry Digweed- Eric Young-?????????
Kieran O'Regan- Steve Penney- Dean Saunders- Danny Wilson- Dennis Mortimer- Chris Hutchings.

Wouldn't have got Daren Newman, and Franco Massimo I'm not sure on either.

Top right is definitely David Gipp, weirdly I remember his face.

Is the one next to Eric Young a bloke called Sean Edwards maybe?

D

Deleted User X18H

It's not late 80's it's 1986 . It features one of two ex Albion players who have lifted the Champions League Trophey. European Cup in old money.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
BACK - Darren Newman, Steve Gatting, Gerry Armstrong, Gary O'Reilly, Franco Massimo, David Gipp
MIDDLE - Peter Suddaby (coach), Dale Jasper, Terry Connor, Perry Digweed, Eric Young, Sean Edwards, Mike Yaxley (physio), Barry Lloyd (coach)
FRONT - Kieran O'Regan, Steve Penney, Dean Saunders, Alan Mullery (manager), Danny Wilson, Dennis Mortimer, Chris Hutchings

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not late 80's it's 1986 . It features one of two ex Albion players who have lifted the Champions League Trophey. European Cup in old money.

Oh, huge apologies to you.

I mistakenly thought 1986-87 was late eighties when it's obviously early 80s. I'd already typed it and couldn't be arsed to go back and change it to the exact year, frankly.

Well done for picking that up though. Pop off now and watch the One Show, you might spot some hilarious continuity errors if you're lucky.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'd call it the mid 80's. I don't watch the One Show only repeats of Albion Market .

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Who would have thought 12 mths later, Lloyd would be manager, we would be in div 3 and the team would have Keeley, Dublin, Rougvie, Nelson, Bremner, Wilkins, Curbishley etc etc in it???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cool photo .was discussing dale jasper at work today.not a bad team that :banana:

Apart from getting relegated and Mullery being sacked halfway through, yes.

Wait- I'd best check with HB&B to make sure it was half way through now, and not three fifths, or a third.

D

Deleted User X18H

Apart from getting relegated and Mullery being sacked halfway through, yes.

Wait- I'd best check with HB&B to make sure it was half way through now, and not three fifths, or a third.
Mullery left in January 1987. So yes roughly half way through .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here