Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could you compete in an Ironman?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Swim 2.4 miles --> Ride 112 miles --> Run 26.2 miles all in under 17 hours?

I have (with some trepidation) decided to compete in an Ironman in 2015 to raise money for Neuroblastoma in memory of my friends daughter who tragically died at just 2 years old.

If you are interested in following my blog on the trials and tribulations of this, and offer me any moral support (or ribbing) please take a look. It would be great to have the might of NSC behind me.

http://www.ironsnook.co.uk

Thanks

James

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
With the right training, yes, although the swim would bore me to tears. I'm completing a combined triathlon-marathon on the day of the Brighton marathon, so I'm on my way there...

Good luck!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My last marathon effort took me 6 hours. The last time I cycled 112 miles (123 to be exact) took me 10 hours. That leaves me one hour to swim 2.4 miles. I can't swim for toffee and the marathon and cycle allowed a two year rest period.

So, no.

Best of luck!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I think at least half of the time would be taken up by the swimming, I'm atrocious!! With training I think the cycling and running would be doable so it's a maybe from me.

Good luck James, the might of NSC shall be with you :albion2:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I'm doing a half Ironman at the end of August. So far I've only done a sprint triathlon (750m swim, 20km cycle & 5km run), so a pretty huge step up for me. Good luck, hope the training goes well! I really need to start upping my distances on the bike and my runs :(

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

These two aren't even out of breath. She's my niece, they do a couple a year in different parts of the world, most years. Plenty of training, there's a collection of Tri-athletes and Iron Man competitors at the Virgin gym down from the Amex.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Been there, done that and got the tattoo! Not too difficult if your aim is simply to finish. I managed sub 13 hours on an average of 9 hours training per week; if I can do it then I'm sure you can. Good luck and enjoy it.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I'm doing 9 hours training a week just to get through my first ever sprint tri on 28th Feb. Feeling pretty good for it though.

Iron Man - never in a month of Sundays

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Thanks for the positive comments all.

The full Ironman is not till 2015. Have a sprint tri in June, then an Olympic distance in August.

Half IM early in 2015, then train up for the full later that year. Should be achievable I hope.

Can't wait to get the compulsory Ironman tattoo.

9 hours training a week seems about right, and luckily for me swimming is my strength (which is the thing most people worry about) so its just about getting my run and bike fitness up.

For those of you who have done halves / full IM's, where did you do them? I am considering the Outlaw in Nottingham as it seems the most forgiving course.

James

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Thanks for the positive comments all.

The full Ironman is not till 2015. Have a sprint tri in June, then an Olympic distance in August.

Half IM early in 2015, then train up for the full later that year. Should be achievable I hope.

Can't wait to get the compulsory Ironman tattoo.

9 hours training a week seems about right, and luckily for me swimming is my strength (which is the thing most people worry about) so its just about getting my run and bike fitness up.

For those of you who have done halves / full IM's, where did you do them? I am considering the Outlaw in Nottingham as it seems the most forgiving course.

James
I did the Grafman half - the bike course is nice and flat and the run is not too bad either. Still hard work though. My key advice - practice the swimming.

First question from the organisers as I crossed the finish line (in last position) "Would you do a full Ironman?" Not done one yet...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd have to learn to ride a bike first

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I did the Grafman half - the bike course is nice and flat and the run is not too bad either. Still hard work though. My key advice - practice the swimming.

First question from the organisers as I crossed the finish line (in last position) "Would you do a full Ironman?" Not done one yet...

You are welcome to join us in 2015 if the will grabs you mate.

Why not?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here