Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion, Sussex and World War 1

Feb 14, 2010
Well its a 100 years since the war that probably changed the social fabric of the British Isles. Without flag waving or nationalism, then time to recall the drilling on the Goldstone and all. Any photos and stories? I understand that Charlie Web has the dubious honour of being appointed Brighton manager whilst in a German prisoner of war camp!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Can't remember where I saw it but I remember a photo of the British Army first 11 from ww1 which featured 2 Albion players and one Blackpool player who signed for Brighton after the war.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Born in Hove, my grandfather fought in the Great War in the Sussex Regiment, won the Military Medal, got gassed and lived with sickness and poor health for the rest of his life. Died just before I was born. It is a great sadness for me that I never met him.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Let's not forget 'The Day Sussex Died'. June 30th 1916 at the battle of Boar's Head. A diversionary attack for the Somme the following day. A causaulty list of nearly 1,100 men of the Royal Sussex. Of which 17 officers and 364 other ranks were killed. Included in that list were 12 sets of brothers.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My grandfather started out with the Royal Sussex... (1914) but due to the West Surrey being decimated he was transferred to them. He was shattered by shrapnel at the Second battle of the Somme and died of his wounds on 30/08/1918,at the age of 25 (quite an old age for a soldier then.) My mother only saw him twice...sad that so many families lost their loved ones.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Found that part of the programme fascinating. I like to think I Know a fair bit about history but I didn't know about the Indian and other Asian troops having a hospital at the pavilion and dome.

That was very interesting. Plus being cremated in the 'hills' and scattered at sea.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Let's not forget 'The Day Sussex Died'. June 30th 1916 at the battle of Boar's Head. A diversionary attack for the Somme the following day. A causaulty list of nearly 1,100 men of the Royal Sussex. Of which 17 officers and 364 other ranks were killed. Included in that list were 12 sets of brothers.

Eastbourne lad Nelson Carter won the vc in that battle. I was privileged enough to hear his grandson speak recently about his exploits.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
This link is an excellent site for all those interested in researching family members who served in the Southdown battallions of The Royal Sussex Regiment (otherwise known as 'Lowthers Lambs'). Some of you may have photos and information on family members to add. If so, please contact the site. If you click on the 'Battallions' page, each soldier is listed in alphabetical order. I am sure some of you will find you relatives listed. Very moving stuff.

http://www.royalsussex-southdowns.co.uk/

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The stuff about Hearts got me thinking about the Albion and the players we lost. I know that Pom-Pom Whiting was killed in the war - any others?

Wasn't Charlie Webb from an Army family? I think he was born in a camp.

Really interesting programme; surprised the Chattri didn't get a mention though

Found that part of the programme fascinating. I like to think I Know a fair bit about history but I didn't know about the Indian and other Asian troops having a hospital at the pavilion and dome.
They still commemorate this, with an annual event at the Chattri.

p972191903-3.jpg

p825379707-3.jpg

p706642812-3.jpg

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Fascinating stuff. Very glad you started this thread, Wcp. if ever a conflict changed the course of history, it was World War I. After nearly a century of almost no major wars, it was thought that mankind was moving towards some kind of earthly paradise. How wrong that was. The slaughter in American Civil war had already shown that the power of technology had created new and far more destructive weapons, but those lessons weren't learned in Europe prior to 1914. Then of course the terms of the Treaty of Versailles humiliated Germany, and led to Hitler's rise to power and World War II. I hope that the 'celebration' of the centenary of the onset of the war will lead to greater understanding of the need for peace.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Listen to the wraiths of morning in Flanders fields of grey,
Can you hear The Royal Sussex who came and went away
And linger still in graves unknown amidst the furrow and the thorn.
But never flinched, duty done, these sons of Sussex bred and born

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
This link is an excellent site for all those interested in researching family members who served in the Southdown battallions of The Royal Sussex Regiment (otherwise known as 'Lowthers Lambs'). Some of you may have photos and information on family members to add. If so, please contact the site. If you click on the 'Battallions' page, each soldier is listed in alphabetical order. I am sure some of you will find you relatives listed. Very moving stuff.

http://www.royalsussex-southdowns.co.uk/

Thanks, really interesting site. Both of my parents moved to Sussex when they were young so there won't be any of my relatives on there but interesting to see names I recognise from my home town

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here