Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daft Punk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've had a big think about this thread

To my mind RAM is the 3rd best Daft Punk album and a fairly distant third at that BUT I think the state of contemporary pop music is pretty much at an all time low so a good Daft Punk album like RAM looks like an all time great against the current competition when in reality, it's a solid 8/10 record.

Same goes for "The Next Day ." n'all.

Is that fair?

Of course it's fair. It's your opinion, and nothing is right or wrong when it comes to music appreciation.

To my mind, RAM is by far their best album - but I haven't enjoyed much of their stuff before.

The Next Day - Bowie's best album since Heroes. 'Where are we now?' is the first song of his that I've played over and over again for over thirty years, and he was my absolute hero in the seventies. My first seven albums were all by David Bowie.

The state of contemporary music...pretty much every generation says that it is at an all time low. It often looks better in hindsight. There are blips when everyone thinks they've never had it so good, but things really ain't that bad just now.

There's loads of crap about, but there always has been.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The state of contemporary music...pretty much every generation says that it is at an all time low. It often looks better in hindsight. There are blips when everyone thinks they've never had it so good, but things really ain't that bad just now.

There's loads of crap about, but there always has been.

Note I said contemporary POP music. Personally I think music in general is in amaaaaaaaaaazing health at the moment for reasons too numerous to list here.

As for your Bowie point I nearly agree with you, I'd go with best since Lodger. That isn't really saying much though, his 80's, 90's & 00's output isn't really all that great.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Note I said contemporary POP music. Personally I think music in general is in amaaaaaaaaaazing health at the moment for reasons too numerous to list here.

As for your Bowie point I nearly agree with you, I'd go with best since Lodger. That isn't really saying much though, his 80's, 90's & 00's output isn't really all that great.

Agree about music being in rude health. I think 2013 was a vintage year. Out of interest why do you think it is? What are your numerous reasons? Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here