Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazing intiative by Derby on STs and possible promotion

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I seem to remember last season Brighton asked ST-holders to renew and telling them that if we did go up we would have to pay MORE on top.

Derby, a very well-supported club, have said to anyone renewing by March 16 this season that if they do go up to the PL they will get 50 per cent of the cost BACK, something they are choosing to do with a small part of the millions of extra loot should they go up.

Impressive.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Well played Derby.

I don't see why the fans should get fleeced to support Premier League wages when the income a promoted club get through TV and sponsorship deals increases dramatically. Especially if a club is running to a sensible Championship budget in the first place.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is a nice idea. Season ticket sales only make up about a third of our income in the Championship; they'd make up a much smaller proportion in the PL.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Very clever pricing initiative from them to attract more fans in the Championship.

Will never happen for us all the time our season ticket sales are so high though. Simple supply and demand means that we will be able to "get away" with charging more if we get promoted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Without meaning to sound too cynical, maybe they are desperate for the money now and will be able to easily absorb it if they do go up?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I suspect they have to pay in full at the renewal date so they are hoping for a big cash boost to go towards wages to get them promoted. Could mean they can get in some loan signing to help them get up.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I was thinking recently that it would be a little unfair to raise the price of a ST if we went up, given the huge amount of extra revenue the club would receive.

Fair play to Derby.

Dec 29, 2011
This should be the norm, not the exception. If we go up, the £50 extra per season ticket could make the club £1.25M, a drop in the ocean compared to the reported £120M we get from promotion. Yet £50 for the individual is a lot of money. Promotion should mean cheaper tickets.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's supply and demand though, isn't it? Demand for season tickets here is high, in contrast to Derby, who used to and possibly still do give away season tickets with mobile phone contracts. I very much doubt it's being done to 'give back to the fans', it's from a business perspective.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Derby also operate a flexible pricing scheme for match-day tickets, where you are guaranteed the lowest price if you buy as soon as they go on sale....with the prospect of prices going up closer to the game.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Charlton had a ST deal a few years back that if you committed to two seasons they went up in either the 3rd year would be free

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here