Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion offer rejected - Mustafa Carayol

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think you will find it was called paying the wages. There was nothing inspirational about Gus, no silver tongued charm, that many love to believe. It was something called a chairman's blind faith and belief that his man was going to lead us to the prem, as he had assured him he would, if he was backed with enough funds....I thought this much was obvious by now???

Swallowed another lemon tonight Kev?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Swallowed another lemon tonight Kev?

lol,,not at all. I just thought now the dust had all settled, people would have some perspective on just how much money was thrown at Poyet to get us up...It was a awful lot and to be fair, I still think would have done it, were it not for the rift that was clearly in place long before the play off game....It all still stinks to high heaven. However onwards and upwards. I am quite encouraged whats going on atm. We won't pay silly money or do deals with players who aren't good enough for where we want to go. We seem to be going about our business with a quiet, self assured calm....If we sell Bridcutt, Buckley(both who have contributed little or nothing this season) and Ulloa and get in Wickham + cash, I think that will be a fantastic bit of business. Add Trotter and Conway(or alike) to the squad and I reckon we are in very good shape indeed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because the man is clearly an idiot and excepted £10 grand a week less to come here, just for good old Gus. Or at least that's the word. On the other hand he could be on wages that some just don't want to believe.

Perhaps. But then you mention Bloom. Is he an idiot for listening to Poyet? I think your dislike of Poyet has led you to underestimate his persuasive abilities.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
lol,,not at all. I just thought now the dust had all settled, people would have some perspective on just how much money was thrown at Poyet to get us up...It was a awful lot and to be fair, I still think would have done it, were it not for the rift that was clearly in place long before the play off game....It all still stinks to high heaven. However onwards and upwards. I am quite encouraged whats going on atm. We won't pay silly money or do deals with players who aren't good enough for where we want to go. We seem to be going about our business with a quiet, self assured calm....If we sell Bridcutt, Buckley(both who have contributed little or nothing this season) and Ulloa and get in Wickham + cash, I think that will be a fantastic bit of business. Add Trotter and Conway(or alike) to the squad and I reckon we are in very good shape indeed.

It was a lot of money by our standards but only average compared to other clubs in this division. Blackburn, Wolves, Cardiff, Forest, Leicester, Hull, Bolton etc all spent far more than us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Perhaps. But then you mention Bloom. Is he an idiot for listening to Poyet? I think your dislike of Poyet has led you to underestimate his persuasive abilities.

I don't think Bloom was an idiot for listening to Poyet. I think appointing Poyet at the time he did was a master stroke. Poyet worked wonders for this football club. Right up until the point he started believing his own press. Around about the time of the Liverpool cup game at Anfield. Bloom invested so much in Poyet and his ideas that he had to see the job through. Even though it was becoming obvious to many he was getting out of control. I think the way Poyet shafted Bloom was nothing short of disgusting and he will do it again wherever he goes. I see he has already seen off one director of football at Sunderland!!!! Anyway, I don't give a shite about that anymore. The scars are healing and we are come back stronger and will be much better for it.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It was a lot of money by our standards but only average compared to other clubs in this division. Blackburn, Wolves, Cardiff, Forest, Leicester, Hull, Bolton etc all spent far more than us.

Every club you mention there, either have recent prem payments or a very rich benefactor....We had just come from a make shift home and built a stadium. Other clubs have spent very little and been promoted. It's all swings and round about's really. But with the money Poyet had, if he was as great as some believe we would have pissed the league. He wasn't and we didn't.....It doesn't matter anymore, he is someone else's problem.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Every club you mention there, either have recent prem payments or a very rich benefactor....We had just come from a make shift home and built a stadium. Other clubs have spent very little and been promoted. It's all swings and round about's really. But with the money Poyet had, if he was as great as some believe we would have pissed the league. He wasn't and we didn't.....It doesn't matter anymore, he is someone else's problem.

You keep saying he had loads of money, but he didn't. Not by the standards of this division

Feb 14, 2010
You keep saying he had loads of money, but he didn't. Not by the standards of this division

Poyet did a superb job with his defence and midfield. He failed to get promotion as he got his strikers wrong. He let go Murray and spent the cash on CMS. Murray a skilful clinical finisher for CMS who ran around allot and with Barnes missed the chances that midfield created. Poyet did a great job but what he could have achieved if he could have spotted a goal scorer would have been so much more

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Poyet did a superb job with his defence and midfield. He failed to get promotion as he got his strikers wrong. He let go Murray and spent the cash on CMS. Murray a skilful clinical finisher for CMS who ran around allot and with Barnes missed the chances that midfield created. Poyet did a great job but what he could have achieved if he could have spotted a goal scorer would have been so much more

He did spot a great goal scorer as we had a deal with Palace to bring back Murray and swap him for Hoskins.

Gary Dicker broke Hoskins' leg and the deal fell through.

Ulloa isn't too shabby either.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

First season back in the championship we weren't exactly rolling in chances created...and it was often mentioned that we weren't playing to CMS's strengths,,,,he actually did quite well until he picked up an injury last season..had a bit of a lean spell and then picked up the serious injury ...Murray had a crap first season for palace...one excellent season...it remains to see what he does when fit...Barnes...well that another story

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Not sure where you got your figures from but Blackburn spent £8 million on ONE striker alone.

That's right and it was money better spent, than all Poyet's strikers put together......Ok, that maybe a bit harsh on Ulloa, but I would still swap him for Wickham in a heatbeat.....as for my figures. Does anyone know for sure, as a lot are undisclosed as they say, but...

Ulloa- £2m
CMS- £3.25
Barnes- £300k
Buckley - £1m
Hoskins -£500k
Holroyyd -£??????????
Sandaza-£???????????
Sure i've probably missed someone and yes the figures maybe a little out, here and there. But it come's to a lot more than £7m and as Working Class Pride has pointed out, he let Murray go, when we all know he wanted to stay.

p,s Dobbie,,,,,,,,highest earner at club someone said!!!!!!!

Feb 14, 2010
He did spot a great goal scorer as we had a deal with Palace to bring back Murray and swap him for Hoskins.

Gary Dicker broke Hoskins' leg and the deal fell through.

Ulloa isn't too shabby either.

Yep, Ulluoa isnt shabby. But trying to get Murray back after spending £2 Million on CMS? Well it was a mistake, we all make them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's right and it was money better spent, than all Poyet's strikers put together......Ok, that maybe a bit harsh on Ulloa, but I would still swap him for Wickham in a heatbeat.....as for my figures. Does anyone know for sure, as a lot are undisclosed as they say, but...

Ulloa- £2m
CMS- £3.25
Barnes- £300k
Buckley - £1m
Hoskins -£500k
Holroyyd -£??????????
Sandaza-£???????????
Sure i've probably missed someone and yes the figures maybe a little out, here and there. But it come's to a lot more than £7m and as Working Class Pride has pointed out, he let Murray go, when we all know he wanted to stay.

We have only paid £2.5 m for CMS, Barnes was £125k, Buckley is not a striker, Hoskins £500k, Ulloa £2m, Holroyd £60k and Sandaza free. Total £5.2 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here