Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flu jab side effects

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Just wondering if anyone has had any side effects from this winter's flu jab, and if so what they were?

My 13 year old had his last Thursday and he now has a sore feeling around the injection area on his arm, and a large area around that is really warm to the touch.

I looked on the NHS site for flu jab side effects and there are some horror stories about paralysis of the arm, breathing difficulties and excruciating pain lasting for weeks - these are clearly extreme.

I was keen to know if anyone else had similar problems or not and if so how long did they take to resolve?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have to have it every year and never had a problem.

As the doctors say, if you do get a reaction, it's still 100 times better than actually getting flu. If anyone's had proper flu - and I don't mean a heavy cold, just to get out of work - then you know it, everything hurts, even blinking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a large red swelling on my upper arm for a week which was very tender to the touch. It came up within 24 hours and then went down gradually.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I had one a couple of months ago. no side effects.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I had a large red swelling on my upper arm for a week which was very tender to the touch. It came up within 24 hours and then went down gradually.

That is what he has now.

We went to our local chemist and he said it would calm down, but then I read the stories and feared the worst.

Thanks all for responses, feel a bit less nervous now.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have had it around 9 times out of the last 10 years, the one year I didn't I got proper flu! :(
With regard side affects, every time I have had a dead arm afterwards which was gone within 24 hours. Can't remember any swelling or redness though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I got the flu for the only time in my life two weeks after the only flu jab I'd had in my life. Never had either before or since :nono:

This year was the first time that I'd had a flu jab for over 10 years because I used to get a mini version of the flu for 24 hours following a jab despite the practise nurse telling me that it was a 'dead' vaccine and therefore not possible.
I was persuaded to have the jab and also the pneumonia jab this year because I was told it has altered in the last five years.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This year was the first time that I'd had a flu jab for over 10 years because I used to get a mini version of the flu for 24 hours following a jab despite the practise nurse telling me that it was a 'dead' vaccine and therefore not possible.
I was persuaded to have the jab and also the pneumonia jab this year because I was told it has altered in the last five years.

I believe that it true, you cannot get flu from a flu jab, it's not a live virus that you're injected with. People can complain of similar symptoms, though, but not nearly as bad as the real thing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I believe that it true, you cannot get flu from a flu jab, it's not a live virus that you're injected with. People can complain of similar symptoms, though, but not nearly as bad as the real thing.

I've had proper flu twice in 65 years. The vaccine was live a few years ago, the current medical practise admitted that to me this year. I was going to turn down both the flu & pneumonia jab because of past reactions.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It is possible (and quite common), as the symptoms are caused by your immune system reacting to the jab. If your immune system didn't react at all then it wouldn't work. Probably just suggests you've got quite a healthy immune system if anything.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If your immune system didn't react at all then it wouldn't work. Probably just suggests you've got quite a healthy immune system if anything.

Yup, the likely reason that some ME/CFS sufferers have adverse reactions is that their immune systems are already overstimulated fighting 'ghost' viruses. My wife has not had a coomon cold since she's been suffering from ME, gotta be something in it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yup, the likely reason that some ME/CFS sufferers have adverse reactions is that their immune systems are already overstimulated fighting 'ghost' viruses. My wife has not had a coomon cold since she's been suffering from ME, gotta be something in it.
Interesting. I had ME when I was a teenager and several people suggested it may have been brought on by the MMR vacine. Could be a load of guff admittedly.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Since I had swine flu about 5 years ago and took tamiflu I haven't been ill since even in the slightest and if I get a cold it's gone in a day :ohmy:

Ill be ill tomorrow now

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Interesting. I had ME when I was a teenager and several people suggested it may have been brought on by the MMR vacine. Could be a load of guff admittedly.

I've heard that from others too. Richard Dawkins has an interesting hypothesis that CFS/ME may even be an evolutionary reaction to our bodies falling to a default virus/pathogen-fighting mode.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That would make sense as I have thyroid problems with the gland producing too many antibodies thinking it is being attacked. I have to take replacement thyroxin because it isn't producing enough, due to producing too many antibodies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here