Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great to see that Oscar thinks Calderon still has an important role at the club

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I recall reading someone's post on here that suggested that Calderon was getting just as frustrated as El-Abd at the lack of opportunities in the first team. They seemed to imply that Calderon was weighing up his options but hopefully after a solid performance and with the captain's armband on Saturday that it proves that everyone's favourite Albion player still has what it takes at this level and that Oscar has faith in his abilities too.

I'm hoping he starts on Saturday - or at the very least gets a decent 20-30 mins or so as a sub.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My only reservation is that Calde is too slow against Championship clubs, I am not even a little bit surprised he had a good game against a lower league team. Bruno as 1st choice every time against better opposition. Calde as a back up is fine though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm hoping he starts on Saturday - or at the very least gets a decent 20-30 mins or so as a sub.

As Icy suggests, Bruno deserves his place. The problem for Calde is not just this, but also Oscar -- as with most managers -- will make changes to the attacking six players, and not the defensive four, so the decent sub appearances you refer to are less likely than for an attacking player. Oscar does, however, sometimes bring on an extra defender if we're winning and holding on. Recently this has been AEA, with Bruno playing a little further up the pitch. Bruno's departure might mean that Oscar turns to Calde in such circumstances as of now.

As Icy suggests, Bruno deserves his place. The problem for Calde is not just this, but also Oscar -- as with most managers -- will make changes to the attacking six players, and not the defensive four, so the decent sub appearances you refer to are less likely than for an attacking player. Oscar does, however, sometimes bring on an extra defender if we're winning and holding on. Recently this has been AEA, with Bruno playing a little further up the pitch. Bruno's departure might mean that Oscar turns to Calde in such circumstances as of now.

Hope Oscar gives him the armband when he leads the team out at Wembley in May, can he be captain from the bench? Did you mean El-Abd's departure or do we need to start a "Bruno leaving" thread?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
As much as I love Calde to bits, the moment an attacking player presents him with a step over or two, he's as good as beaten. He just seems to retreat back into the box rather than attempt a challenge.

I'd still have him play every week though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is Bruno so much better than Calde? I don't think so. They're not similar players so it can be difficult to judge because they have different strengths and weaknesses. Bruno can be extremely erratic - even when playing well he can make an inexplicable non-challenge, balloon a ball or misjudge a pass. His heading is just about the worst I've ever seen from a Brighton defender yet he has the most exquisite ball control and the way he can kill a ball is incredible. And although not as slow as Calderon, he's not exactly greased lightning at the back.

Calderon's lack of pace has always been a negative all the time he has been at the Albion and he has been caught out numerous times but his attacking play is a joy to watch. The other thing Calderon does so well is rouse the rest of the team when we are up against it. Every team needs a few players ready to die for the cause and I'm not sure who else in the squad does this as well as him.

Bruno probably does deserve to be ahead of Calde at the moment based on recent performances and part of me is extremely biased because of my man-love for Calde but the fact that Oscar made him captain last game means that (hopefully) Oscar doesn't just judge him a back-up player to cover for cup games, injuries and the like.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Be interesting over the summer, I just cant see us keeping both Calde and Bruno for next season, paying them both top money is just not viable

Bruno is the better player by some way, but I bloody love Mr Calderon

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Calderon was my first choice RB until Bruno's recent resurgence. Really returned to his form when he first joined. Would happily have Calderon playing each week at this level if needed though

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Calderon can play all across the back four so we need him as our utility player. He's good for the club too.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Calderon can play all across the back four so we need him as our utility player. He's good for the club too.

Absolutely, but like El-Abd will sitting on the bench most weeks appeal..... I will bet we only offer a years deal... he will get offered something more long term elsewhere perhaps...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is Bruno so much better than Calde?

If they're both at their best? Yes, definitely. Miles ahead. Calde at his best is a solid Champ defender. Bruno at his best could play Prem.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bruno at his best could play Prem.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Aside from whether he has the skill you say he has, he is so consistently inconsistent that he will never ever be a premiership player. It's as much a negative as Calderon's lack of pace.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Aside from whether he has the skill you say he has, he is so consistently inconsistent that he will never ever be a premiership player. It's as much a negative as Calderon's lack of pace.

I said "at their best". He was a near-enough regular for ****ing VALENCIA when they were the 3rd best side in Spain. I think he could handle being at Hull or Norwich somehow.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hope Oscar gives him the armband when he leads the team out at Wembley in May, can he be captain from the bench? Did you mean El-Abd's departure or do we need to start a "Bruno leaving" thread?

Oops. I did mean AEA's departure. I will now attempt to use the edit function (I've said this before, and it didn't work -- the reason for this is not down to NSC, but a dodgy internet connection).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I said "at their best". He was a near-enough regular for ****ing VALENCIA when they were the 3rd best side in Spain. I think he could handle being at Hull or Norwich somehow.

He was at the prime of his footballing career then, a regular in the first season but dropping off in second and third seasons and released on a free transfer thereafter. The fact he's at Brighton with no interest elsewhere and especially not from any premiership side kind of hints that he's at his level now.

Of course Bruno was better than Calderon when they were at their peak but we haven't got them then, we've got them now (Calderon with his slowness and Bruno with his inconsistent performances). You can't pick a player over another player because, 5 or 6 years ago, he was absolutely mint. No amount of swearing makes that logical.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bruno probably does deserve to be ahead of Calde at the moment based on recent performances and part of me is extremely biased because of my man-love for Calde but the fact that Oscar made him captain last game means that (hopefully) Oscar doesn't just judge him a back-up player to cover for cup games, injuries and the like.

Man love is blind, Bruno on form is a MUCH better player than Calde.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

This.

Bruno at his best is astonishing. You can get 9/10 performances from him, but you can also get some awful 4/10s as well.

Calde seems to operate at a consistent 7.5/10.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The one thing Calderon gives us that Bruno doesn't is his game-changing goals when the chips are down. On a par with those of Andrew Crofts. Brilliant problem to have. Unlike the dog days when we had to choose between Kerry Mayo and Dodgy Dan Harding. How far we've come...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Is this the playoff semi, playoff final, or cup final trip to Wembley? :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here