Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job decision help

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I have recently been offered an excepted a new job. At first I was 100% sure it was the right move. But I don't think I've given it enough though. I got offered the job Tuesday and had excepted by Thursday and have since had the weekend to think it over. would be going from a company I've been at for 10 years since leaving school. My boss can be a bit of an arse but seemed genuinely disappointed when I handed my notice and did ask me and offer me more money to stay, but I turned him down. If I took the rise id be on more money at my current job as is be going from paye to self employed. I told the guy Thursday I'd take the job and have agreed a start date but haven't signed a contact yet. Would it be a bad move to back out of it?i don't know if it's just nerves getting the better of me. I would have to work harder and not as local as I'm used to but all the people who work for him do all seem very happy. I'm find it all very stressful as I've got a family to consider!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There is a whiny, negative voice inside all of us telling us to play safe and invalidating any new steps. It's just an inner dialogue. What it says is not the truth. Get present to why you applied for the new job in the first place and acknowledge your success in getting it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hmmm.

1) Does your most recent role make you happy?

2) Does the new role provide greater opportunities to you?

3) Does the new role mean you will spend less time with your family?

4) Have you been happy with the most recent role?

5) Which job provides you the greatest security?

6) Are either of those jobs something you can see yourself doing forever and a day?

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
One min I think I should just try but then I just have these massive doubts, it's the only place I've ever worked so I now think I should have taken longer to decide. A lot of ex colleagues I'm still friends with have all said I will be better to leave but I'm just so unsure. If I did decide to stay id be burning my bridges with a seemingly good and up and coming company but if I leave I doubt I could ever go back to all I ever known!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Have you researched the new company properly.

Are you sure you know whats involved in going self employed.

The grass always looks greener on the other side...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One min I think I should just try but then I just have these massive doubts, it's the only place I've ever worked so I now think I should have taken longer to decide. A lot of ex colleagues I'm still friends with have all said I will be better to leave but I'm just so unsure. If I did decide to stay id be burning my bridges with a seemingly good and up and coming company but if I leave I doubt I could ever go back to all I ever known!

You appear to be leaving on good terms so why do you feel you'll be burning bridges?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What was the reason for seeking this alternative employment?

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Hmmm.

1) Does your most recent role make you happy? I do still get satisfaction from it but I can become samey, although as a tradesman I'd be doing basically the same thing.

2) Does the new role provide greater opportunities to you? Yes long term

3) Does the new role mean you will spend less time with your family? I think so as my new boss is more on the ball with the time he pays you for, my current boss is a bit lazy so happy for me go when job is completed.

4) Have you been happy with the most recent role?
Yes and no, I have a boss above me(joint director) not always doing there job properly, in turn making my job harder. But as he is a director in a small company it is not easy to raise it as an issue.

5) Which job provides you the greatest security?
Hard to say, I'd say I'm going from being the big fish to just as important as everyone else.

6) Are either of those jobs something you can see yourself doing forever and a day?no end goal to work for myself

Edited to sort out quote function.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have been self employed in various roles for 25 years, pros and cons to it. Generally I am better off financially than employed equivalents, until I break a leg or get sick, then I am up shit creek. Stick 3 months wages away as a safety net if you go for the self employed job, and have a look at insurance.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Will you let NSC decide for you?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am not brilliant at offering career advice. I've had some disastrous experiences.

What I do believe is that it should boil down to is what you want from life.

Will this new role, potentially, bring you closer to your ultimate aim (working for yourself)?

Last edited:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
been in a similar situation before....

go with intuition, gut, heart, and feeling........forget logic and head.

for the record.....i stayed.....

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Many years ago I was in a situation just like your's. After much deliberation I chose to stay in my old position. A decision that was to prove to be the right one.
Money is not the real issue, being content and happy in your work environment to me is more important.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From what you've written I get the impression the main reason you're feeling the way you are is because you're giving up familiarity with your current surroundings for something different which is totally understandable. If this is the case and you do not have any major concerns with the company or terms you're moving to my gut feeling is to go for it. Two things to remember, your current boss tried to keep you and you have been recommended to your new boss ie you seem respected and very capable so take confidence from this.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There's pros and cons on both sides. Flick a coin to decide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here