Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 new signage.......Handcross Lower

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
A23 signage.jpeg

A sign of the times perhaps.......... awaits Handcross Upper sign to appear.....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In years gone by road signs were manufactured in local authority sign shops, nowadays most of those shops are long gone, so less local knowledge of place names. Brighton & Hove council still has it's own small sign factory, but most local authorities shut them down years ago. I know there is a very large highway sign manufacturing company in Scotland who make signs for a lot of the UKs major road schemes, there is also a pretty big one in Birmingham. I'm sure (they think) it saves them a lot of money, somehow, being in the industry, I doubt it does.

Jul 7, 2003
In years gone by road signs were manufactured in local authority sign shops, nowadays most of those shops are long gone, so less local knowledge of place names. Brighton & Hove council still has it's own small sign factory, but most local authorities shut them down years ago. I know there is a very large highway sign manufacturing company in Scotland who make signs for a lot of the UKs major road schemes, there is also a pretty big one in Birmingham. I'm sure (they think) it saves them a lot of money, somehow, being in the industry, I doubt it does.

East Sussex have a sign shop at Ringmer. The A23 is a Highways Agency road so the people making these are probably miles away and have no idea of the places. If only someone had invented maps to be able to check.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
East Sussex have a sign shop at Ringmer. The A23 is a Highways Agency road so the people making these are probably miles away and have no idea of the places. If only someone had invented maps to be able to check.

ESCC highways depot is contracted to Kier Group, not sure they're council employees any more, but at least still local. As you say though, they won't be making Highways Agency signage, that's probably all done by someone like Eurovia these days, oddly enough their head office is in Horsham, albeit their manufacturing is done in places like the Midlands and the north.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Upper Beeding & Lower Beeding have always been the wrong way round. Perfect opportunity to cure that.

Absolutely. East and West Grinstead, East and West Hoathly, plus East and West Wittering are in the right order. Why should the Beedings buck the trend and be out of sync?

Its a disgrace I tell you!! :angry::angry::angry:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
ESCC highways depot is contracted to Kier Group, not sure they're council employees any more, but at least still local. As you say though, they won't be making Highways Agency signage, that's probably all done by someone like Eurovia these days, oddly enough their head office is in Horsham, albeit their manufacturing is done in places like the Midlands and the north.

Yeah, but who stuck it up and didn't notice & who hasn't spotted it yet.
Are there no local Boys from the Blackstuff being employed?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003

I remember at school in the 70s we had a guy in from the Royal British Legion or similar and he said they made all the road signs. I thought it very strange even then - was that true though?

By the way there are 2 such signs on the newly widened A23 going up Handcross Hill - with an interesting 'Narrow Lanes' sign as you go over the bridge - all that cost and the lanes narrow as you go north.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I remember at school in the 70s we had a guy in from the Royal British Legion or similar and he said they made all the road signs. I thought it very strange even then - was that true though?

By the way there are 2 such signs on the newly widened A23 going up Handcross Hill - with an interesting 'Narrow Lanes' sign as you go over the bridge - all that cost and the lanes narrow as you go north.

Royal British Legion have a large sign shop based in Maidstone, and yes, they do (or did) make a lot of road traffic signs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here