Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conway Will Join This Week......or not

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Makes sense why he hasnt came to us yet if they are waiting for Zahahahahaha.

Could be a masterstroke getting him in to supply Ulloa, which is what is badly needed.

Not sure it does make sense ... Conway was not included in the 25-man squad Cardiff originally declared at the start of the season so has never been in their plans, so cannot really see why the signing of Zaha really makes a difference because he will just dislodge one of the original 25-men and not Conway

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not sure it does make sense ... Conway was not included in the 25-man squad Cardiff originally declared at the start of the season so has never been in their plans, so cannot really see why the signing of Zaha really makes a difference because he will just dislodge one of the original 25-men and not Conway

It was mention on here recently (so take it for what it's worth), that with the transfer window open, the squads aren't limited to their 25 named squad (they get to submit a new 25 squad after the window closes to fit in new purchases). With a new manager, there's a chance Cardiff might have decided to use Conway, because he fits into OGS's plans if they fail to get Zaha.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Conway went from appalling to okay by the end, but my major problem is that he's incredibly slow. We are already relying on only two players for pace (and both of them spend as much time injured as they do fit) and now we could add another painfully slow winger. It just makes some of the play a bit predictable in my opinion.

Imagine how good we would be had Buckley, CMS and LuaLua been fit for much of the campaign.

Whether or not you believe they have that finishing touch or final ball, the pace in those three would scare the bejesus out of other teams.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm a huge believer in pace, possibly to the point where I would rather have it in the team than technique. I just think you have to be a VERY good player to hurt the other team if you're slow, but if you're fast you can be a bit more reckless and eventually something will come off. The prospect of Lopez on one wing and Conway on the other again fills me with dread, despite them both being reasonable players in their own ways.

My management and footballing qualifications amount to zero, but I too believe that sheer pace is essential.

Lopez might bedazzle two or three players, but that gives the other team the opportunity to retreat and rebuild. He will be an exceptional player if he had regular speedsters at his beck and call.

There's no reason why we can't be patient (build from the back) and hit them fast, is there? Do we have the skills available to play like a Barcelona-lite?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Conway went from appalling to okay by the end, but my major problem is that he's incredibly slow. We are already relying on only two players for pace (and both of them spend as much time injured as they do fit) and now we could add another painfully slow winger. It just makes some of the play a bit predictable in my opinion.

He got faster by the end and even beat some full backs purely by pace towards the end.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The media not limited to the mail are saying this re Zaha

Now, the Daily Mail reports that he is undergoing a medical and should complete his move before the end of the day, with Cardiff paying all of his wages and £1.5 million for his services for the remainder of the season.
I just can't believe that's true. Everyone agreed that £10m was a lot of money. Now, with zero match fitness or practice, we're to believe he goes for £1.5m + wages, just for 6 months? Can't be true.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed, I'm not qualified to run a bath, let alone a football team, but pace would quite possibly be my number one requirement if I was putting a side together.

Our problem is made worse by the fact we don't even have quick players through the middle of midfield or upfront, so if Kazenga and Buckley are out it's a totally one-paced team. Ulloa is fantastic, but the one thing he hasn't got is speed. Bridcutt (when he can be bothered to play) is slow, Crofts has been great but is hardly nimble, plus Andrews and Agustien aren't moving in a hurry. Apart from the obvious two of Kazenga and Buckley, the only other player I can imagine moving the ball up the pitch quickly is Ince, who is at least quite energetic when he gets some momentum. It's a massive problem and one that means Conway is not the man I'd be looking to sign. At the moment there is no way we have what it takes to play in the way you describe. We'd need at least two more quick players to do it, with the key one being someone to play in the hole in front of midfield and behind Ulloa.
We could make an offer for Lewis Grabban.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I agree with the whole pace argument, and because of injury we have been missing it for large parts this season. But I've got a feeling that we'll come into real form at the tail end like we did last season. We'll have Lua Lua and c.m.s running oppo defences ragged.
I know c.m.s wasn't exactly prolific last season but his work rate and pace scares defences and I've got a feeling he'll be a good partner for Ulloa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here