Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
merritt-26jan14-ld1229-1317741_478x359.jpg

Rebecca Merritt is looking forward to a new chapter at Albion

PUBLISHED
15:20 26th January 2014
by James Hilsum
I want to make a difference; I would like to settle in well with the girls and start hitting the back of the net as often as I can. "
Rebecca Merritt
Albion women have completed the signing of Rebecca Merritt from West Ham and the forward admits the club’s long-term vision ultimately convinced her to join.She told seagulls.co.uk, “Initially Brighton came in with an approach for me and I was always going to be interested in joining a club of that stature.
“I obviously already knew Toni-Anne (Wayne) who also moved here recently from West Ham so I heard a lot of good things about where the club was heading.
“The aim is to get into the Women’s Super League and the opportunities for progression means it’s a very exciting place to be.
“The facilities here are incredible and there is a strong link with the men’s side of the club, which not many women players have the luxury of enjoying. I also like the general attitude of the staff and the fact that the girls always want to learn.
“I want to make a difference; I would like to settle in well with the girls and start hitting the back of the net as often as I can.
“Having looked at the league table, we’re not doing too badly and the top three is a reasonable target to achieve.
“Knowing some of the girls already that would be something we’d want to do, hopefully I can only add to that and get us as high up the league as possible.”
The news of Merritt’s arrival follows the departures of last season’s top-scorer Kim Stenning and Republic of Ireland international Sophie Perry to WSL2 side Millwall Lionesses.
Stenning spent four years at Albion since arriving from Southampton in 2009 and scored 25 goals in 26 starts last season, while Perry began her third spell at the club in January last year, initially joining on a loan deal from Chelsea, before signing permanently at the end of 2012/13.
Albion v Doncaster at the Amex on February 8th, 3pm kick off. Tickets available online, at the Amex Ticket Office or via the telephone on 08443271901

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here