Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Cost of posting a CD

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have about 200 old CDS to sell. They don't seem to fetch much on eBay, so I'm questioning is it worth it?

Many sellers are asking prices such as £1.27 including postage. So how much of that is postage?

How else would you get shot?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Why don't you want them any more?

I bought a job lot from a retiring DJ some time ago - many are promo albums. I'm just getting rid of those that don't suit my tastes.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It costs £1.20 first class as long as the packaging isn't too thick less than 2.5mm. Two bits of cardboard and an envelope works.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I bought a job lot from a retiring DJ some time ago - many are promo albums. I'm just getting rid of those that don't suit my tastes.
I guess you must have the time to sell them individually, 'cos selling them the way you bought them would be handy.

It costs £1.20 first class as long as the packaging isn't too thick less than 2.5mm. Two bits of cardboard and an envelope works.
I think you mean 25mm (2.5cm)
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/first-class-letters

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

So if your selling 'Buy it Now' at £1.27 inc postage, somebody's not going to get rich. :mad:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've sold a lot on eBay when I had time to burn.
Check none of them are valuable first and make sure you set the starting price so you don't get mugged.
Music Magpie is ok for a quick sale of all the dross. Last time I checked it was generally about 30p a cd. They do refuse to take some, though.
I got a job lot of CD sized padded envelopes which worked out pretty cheap.
Don't forget the eBay and PayPal fees. I'd say £1.27 inc postage means you'd be better off taking them to a charity shop or just putting them in the bin.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So if your selling 'Buy it Now' at £1.27 inc postage, somebody's not going to get rich. :mad:

Don't forget the 13p to ebay in commission, and the 24p to Paypal, 90p for a CD, doesn't really seem worthwhile.

This - if you want an OK price, money quickly and the least possible hassle.

You are not going to get rich selling by Music Magpie but it is the simplest I feel. I got rid of my collection (after transferring them to iCloud) via this method last year. You only have to enter the bar code details for the album name to appear on your selling list, you can download a iPod app to scan the codes but I found it very difficult to get it just right to pick up the bar. The greater majority of my CD's came out around the 30p each mark, any coming out significantly more than this you may with to go down the eBay/Amazon route with. Carriage is free, you print the labels out from their website and arrange for their courier to collect, cheque for payment is sent back to you - all you have to do is find suitable boxes from your local supermarket (wine boxes are manageable size) and package. I think the CD's then end up on Amazon being sold by "Zoverstocks".

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Do a boot sale. Ten/twelve quid the pitch, do them for one pound a pop or six for a fiver, then reduce the price for the last hour to clear them. Anything left just take to Oxfam. Job done £$€ :)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Thanks you people, some good stuff there.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I bought a Zoverstock, and evidently a Music Magpie, CD for a couple of quid from Amazon, via NSC's link of course and can see why it was sold to them, as it skips when played :lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
glue half a dozen together at a time and take up clay pigeon shooting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here