Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901ers can wear colours/replica shirts in their seats, but not the lounges.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Following receipt of an email from the club yesterday asking us all to make the AMEX blue and white for the Donny game, I emailed PB asking if 1901ers could wear replica shirts at the Donny game. He replied, copying in Paul Rogers and Simon Williams, saying that he has no problem with us wearing colours/replica shirts in our seats at ALL games, providing people understood that they could NEVER wear them in the lounges. Paul Rogers concurred in his response to the email thread. Both of them know I'm making this post.

I'm making this post because my understanding was that replica shirts could never been worn anywhere in a 1901 area, including in your seat; and, judging by my friends' attitude and having never seen replica shirts in the 1901 seating, it seems that most 1901ers also think that they can't wear colours. If this is just news to me, apologies for the post....

BTW, this conversation took place between midnight and 01:15 last night. Totally amazing customer response - I've never had replies to emails at that time on a Saturday night from any other organisation in my entire life!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Nice one....so basically they're saying put your shirt in your pocket or rucksack...put it on to go to your seat...take it off to go to the lounge at H.T. put it on to go back to your seat...take it off if you want to stay behind for a drink...so a striper has to be a stripper....ooh! Missus..

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, excellent customer service.

But I find it totally bizarre that a football club sees fit to tell people how they may or may not dress.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Slight correction - in bold. But, yes - nice one indeed!

Nice one....so basically they're saying put your shirt in your pocket or rucksack...put it on AT your seat...take it off to go to the lounge at H.T. put it on back AT your seat...take it off if you want to stay behind for a drink...so a striper has to be a stripper....ooh! Missus.. ha ha!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seems like a commercial opportunity missed on more replica shirt sales but such is life.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yeah, excellent customer service.

But I find it totally bizarre that a football club sees fit to tell people how they may or may not dress.

Oh come on. It's a corporate area - it's perfectly normal. It's no different receiving a party invite with a dress code, or a dinner invite with a "Black tie" request. 90% of the stadium is "wear what you like". No one has to go to 1901 if they don't like the dress code, and 90% of punters choose (for whatever reason) not to! :thumbsup:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Seems like a commercial opportunity missed on more replica shirt sales but such is life.

On the contrary - a commercial opportunity gained! I will now buy a home shirt because I can wear it in my seat at the AMEX. I wear away colours when we're away and don't possess a home shirt.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh come on. It's a corporate area - it's perfectly normal. It's no different receiving a party invite with a dress code, or a dinner invite with a "Black tie" request. 90% of the stadium is "wear what you like". No one has to go to 1901 if they don't like the dress code, and 90% of punters choose (for whatever reason) not to! :thumbsup:

I'd happily go in 1901, but choose not to because of the price, not the dress code. The dress code wouldn't affect me, I don't wear colours.

But corporate or not, it's a football match. I can't get my head around the idea that you can't dress as you choose. A lot of 1901ers aren't there as part of this corporate-business-networking thing. They're there because after years of hurt, these are the best possible seats and facilities, and they can afford it.

I'm not remotely bothered about it - it just seems really odd.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But corporate or not, it's a football match. I can't get my head around the idea that you can't dress as you choose. A lot of 1901ers aren't there as part of this corporate-business-networking thing. They're there because after years of hurt, these are the best possible seats and facilities, and they can afford it.

Yep, I'm one of those 1901ers. I don't do any networking there - I just like the access to the lounge (really short queues for the loo and the bar!) and having a great seat. I didn't know that I could wear colours in my seat and now will, as I do when we're away.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If they are paying that much for their seats then there is even more reason for them to wear what they want. The whole thing is a farce, expecting people to change clothes between being outside and in.
I know at least one person who was refused admission because they had a pair of expensive trainers on. They haven't been back to the Amex since and haven't missed it. I suppose if Paul McCartney turned up they'd still turn him away.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a load of tinpot modern claptrap. So I'm supposed to go to a match and get involved in costume changes 4 times over the course of a game. Embarrassing from the club IMO, either we can wear colours or we can't. Who on earth dreamt this potential charade up?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd happily go in 1901, but choose not to because of the price, not the dress code. The dress code wouldn't affect me, I don't wear colours.

I'm not remotely bothered about it - it just seems really odd.

Its hardly unique to the Amex. Plenty of football clubs have a no jeans / no football shirts policy in their posh bits.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If they are paying that much for their seats then there is even more reason for them to wear what they want. The whole thing is a farce, expecting people to change clothes between being outside and in.

Well, fair enough. I disagree, but it doesn't matter, does it! :thumbup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a load of tinpot modern claptrap. So I'm supposed to go to a match and get involved in costume changes 4 times over the course of a game. Embarrassing from the club IMO, either we can wear colours or we can't. Who on earth dreamt this potential charade up?

Totally ridiculous in my view as well, all the right reasons not to want to ever go in there.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Following receipt of an email from the club yesterday asking us all to make the AMEX blue and white for the Donny game, I emailed PB asking if 1901ers could wear replica shirts at the Donny game. He replied, copying in Paul Rogers and Simon Williams, saying that he has no problem with us wearing colours/replica shirts in our seats at ALL games, providing people understood that they could NEVER wear them in the lounges. Paul Rogers concurred in his response to the email thread. Both of them know I'm making this post.

I'm making this post because my understanding was that replica shirts could never been worn anywhere in a 1901 area, including in your seat; and, judging by my friends' attitude and having never seen replica shirts in the 1901 seating, it seems that most 1901ers also think that they can't wear colours. If this is just news to me, apologies for the post....

BTW, this conversation took place between midnight and 01:15 last night. Totally amazing customer response - I've never had replies to emails at that time on a Saturday night from any other organisation in my entire life!

That was my understanding as well - thanks for posting.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So I'm supposed to go to a match and get involved in costume changes 4 times over the course of a game.

The change involves putting a replica shirt over your existing clothing and then taking it off again (twice). Doesn't seem too much of a hardship to me. I do understand that many will think it's ridiculous, but it's fine by me.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Its hardly unique to the Amex. Plenty of football clubs have a no jeans / no football shirts policy in their posh bits.

Oh, I know that, I never said that it was a uniquely Albion thing. I find it strange wherever it happens...possibly more so at the Albion as our posh bits are taken up by a higher percentage of non-corporate punters, it seems to me.

But hey ho, it is what it is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The change involves putting a replica shirt over your existing clothing and then taking it off again (twice). Doesn't seem too much of a hardship to me. I do understand that many will think it's ridiculous, but it's fine by me.

So 4 changes? Put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off. Not sure why I'm bothered because I never wear colours anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here