Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest sporting event you have been to other than football?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I've been lucky to see most sports live and as an ice hockey fan watching GB in pool A of the World Championships in 1994 in Bolzano is up there, witnessing Canada V Russia the highlight. Until a September night back in 2012 watching David Wier racing to his first gold medal in the Olympic stadium. 80,000 cheering on one person to greatness will live with me for life. whats yours?

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

2004 Grand National I was there as Amberleigh House won and backed him on course

2007 Derby I was there a Frankie won his first on Authorised but didn't back him.

1994 Milk Race around Brighton

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Last night of the track and field @2012 Olympics - Mo Farrah's 5k and the Jamaican 4x100 team beating the world record in the relay.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Open. At Royal Lytham. Watched Tony Jacklin win it. LOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
The Sailing at Weymouth for the 2012 Olympics.

I'm not really into sailing but getting caught up in the feel good factor of a home Olympics was something the whole family enjoyed.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I saw the first three cricket World Cup Finals - in 79, West Indies thrashed England, Viv Richards smashing our bowlers all around the ground. Boycott got a 50, but took at least 25 overs to do it, and we were chasing over 300. In 83, India beat WI in a low scoring Final, but the very best was 1975...I was barely into my teens, but will never forget the first Final, when Australia lost to the West Indies - it finished at about 9.30pm, and there was a fantastic atmosphere throughout.

After 1983 the Finals no longer just took place at Lords.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Super Saturday - London 2012.

Men's 100m final - London 2012.

Monaco GP - 2006.

Coe v Ovett - Crystal Palace in the early 80's.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Wimbledon Men's Singles Final
Federer v Nadal 5 sets
Wonderful match, best final for 25 years (until the year after!)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brighton Tigers winning the cup
Brighton Tigers winning the league (both in the same year)
Sussex final at Lords.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I was lucky enough to be in the Velodrome at London 2012 to see Team GB (Philip Hindes, Jason Kenny, Sir Chris Hoy) win the Men's Team Sprint Gold Medal in a World Record time.

The noise and atmosphere in there when they crossed the line (and, indeed, all through the session) was really something special. In his autobiography Chris Hoy referenced it by saying that normally when you cross the line you have to look up at the scoreboard to confirm whether you've won or not, but in this case it wasn't necessary because the noise was like a bomb had gone off.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
2012 US Open final, Murray winning his first slam

I was lucky enough to be in the Velodrome at London 2012 to see Team GB (Philip Hindes, Jason Kenny, Sir Chris Hoy) win the Men's Team Sprint Gold Medal in a World Record time.

The noise and atmosphere in there when they crossed the line (and, indeed, all through the session) was really something special. In his autobiography Chris Hoy referenced it by saying that normally when you cross the line you have to look up at the scoreboard to confirm whether you've won or not, but in this case it wasn't necessary because the noise was like a bomb had gone off.

Monkey tennis

Quite jealous of these three.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
1) Lions Tour New Zealand ( even though we lost all 3 games)

2) NY Islanders vs NY Rangers Ice Hockey at Madison Square Garden,... awesome local derby.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Exeter Chiefs v Gloucester Rugby is the ONLY sporting event that I've ever been to outside of football, and I was bored to tears.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm going to go with Mansell winning the GP at Brands, and Jaguar's win at Le Mans in 1990.

Mind you that might have to change if the Raiders somehow win at Wembley this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here