Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changing attitudes to the FA Cup this year...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There's a couple of things I've noticed with the FA cup this year. Firstly the crowds haven't been quite so dire as recent years, and secondly the bigger teams seem to be taking it more seriously, consequently there are fewer upsets. Today only Palace lost to lower league opposition

Think a lot of teams saw Wigan win last year and realised that winning something means a hell of of a lot. Whilst giant killings are great, if you get too many in one year it does degrade the competition.

Well lets hope we create a giant killing in the 5th round, seems a long time ago watching Albion getting beat at the Goldstone to Southampton...

Last edited:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
If the winner was to get a champion league place all the big teams would take it a lot more seriously, even if the winner of the cup had qualified, the runner up would then get the spot and if both finalists had qualified i'd have a playoff from the semi finalists . I think that would make everyone take the f a cup muxh more seriously imho.

Jan 30, 2008
If the winner was to get a champion league place all the big teams would take it a lot more seriously, even if the winner of the cup had qualified, the runner up would then get the spot and if both finalists had qualified i'd have a playoff from the semi finalists . I think that would make everyone take the f a cup muxh more seriously imho.
DANGLING THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IN FRONT OF THE PREMIER CUP COMPETITION IN THIS COUNTRY sounds obscene mate, shows how much football as sunk in this country **** THE MONEY LETS GET SOME HONESTY BACK IN THE GAME :wink:
regards
DR

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
DANGLING THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IN FRONT OF THE PREMIER CUP COMPETITION IN THIS COUNTRY sounds obscene mate, shows how much football as sunk in this country **** THE MONEY LETS GET SOME HONESTY BACK IN THE GAME :wink:
regards
DR
It is Das all about money and the cup is now way down on everyones priorty even in the championship its weakend teams put out. Back in the day you like me im sure couldnt wait for fa cup day so to regain the cup neing the best cup in the world a carrot im afraid has to be dangled me thinks....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Seeing as the league is clubs' priority, this could be used to provide more incentive for clubs to do well in the FA Cup:

Four bonus league points if you win the FA Cup, three bonus points if you are runner-up, two if you get knocked out at the semi-final stage and one bonus league point if you get knocked out in the quarter-finals.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
There's a couple of things I've noticed with the FA cup this year. Firstly the crowds haven't been quite so dire as recent years, and secondly the bigger teams seem to be taking it more seriously, consequently there are fewer upsets. Today only Palace lost to lower league opposition

Think a lot of teams saw Wigan win last year and realised that winning something means a hell of of a lot. Whilst giant killings are great, if you get too many in one year it does degrade the competition.

Well lets hope we create a giant killing in the 5th round, seems a long time ago watching Albion getting beat at the Goldstone to Southampton...

Is palace losing away against the current f.a cup holders an upset anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here