Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Adams has Fond Memories of Albion

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
adams-cup-l229-1313900_478x359.jpg

Adams holds the Division Three title aloft back in 2001

Ahead of today’s FA Cup tie with Albion, Port Vale boss Micky Adams has pinpointed a championship-clinching win over Chesterfield and the League Cup giant-killing of Manchester City as his Seagulls high points.
Albion won the title in 2000/01 with a 1-0 win over Chesterfield at Withdean, and Adams also ranks the game in which Albion clinched promotion with a 2-0 win at Home Park in April 2001 as his highlights during his time as boss.
“There were great highs at Brighton, the best of all for me was the match against Chesterfield that clinched the championship even without [the need for] their points deduction.
“Also clinching promotion at Plymouth, that was a memorable journey home – and then beating Manchester City in the League Cup in my second spell.”
Adams – who masterminded the downfall of megabucks City during his second spell – admits he made the move back to the Albion with his heart, rather than his head, but still has a great fondness for the club.
adams-celeb-l229-1313895.jpg

“A big playing low was not getting to Wembley in the JPT Trophy in my second spell, we lost to Luton from a lower league on penalties over two legs, and that was my last match in charge.
“You make career moves, going back to Brighton was one of the heart rather than the head and I probably regret that decision.
“I do regret going back, it was not the correct decision – but then I have done it at Port Vale too, and it has worked out well second time.”
adams-l229-1313992.jpg

Meanwhile Adams has lifted the lid on the infamous Battle of Longford, during the summer of 2001.
The Seagulls had just been crowned Division Three champions, and typically Adams took his squad to the small Irish village of Ballygar to prepare for the Division Two campaign, which would see the team win a second successive title.
However, the pre-season campaign was thrust into turmoil in an unfriendly pre-season friendly with Longford. An ill-tempered match was abandoned after a double sending off led to a mass confrontation between both sets of players.
Adams added, “I have always taken teams out to a base in Ireland at Ballygar, from where you can play teams like Athlone, Longford and Galway.
“But people still talk about Brighton’s Battle of Longford one summer, when in a pre-season game there were three red cards, a mass brawl, and the match and trip were abandoned.
“That year Brighton won promotion, so while I wouldn’t recommend fights and games called off at half-time it maybe it did something for team spirit!"
Albion v Doncaster at the Amex on February 8th, 3pm kick off. Tickets available*online, at the Amex Ticket Office or via the telephone on 08443271901.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here