Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Bridcutt be staying?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I see Gus is trying to sign Argie midfielder Ever Banega from Valencia. If he lands him then his pursuit of Liam could be over. We'd get to keep a good but potentially dissatisfied player but miss out on a boost to our transfer pot. We'd also have stuck two fingers up at Gus.

Would keeping him be a bad thing?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
No disrespect to Liam but Ever Banega is a large step up on him. If he stays hopefully he will put 100% in and try and reach the premiership with us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes interesting thread. This is precisely why, he has been badly advised by his agent in requesting a transfer. Its on another thread but Elliott Bennett although, sub at Watford, still made the effort and of course came back in the team and continued with the right attitude.

Liam has some work to do. Its not the wanting to leave that irks me, its the not wanting to play.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
He's as good as gone. The sooner the better in my opinion.

scooter1

How soon is now?
If he doesn't go to Sunderland then I can see him staying until the summer, and then who knows. And by that I mean, he'll not go elsewhere if it's not Sunderland.
Presuming he stays, then I think it'll take 2 good tackles from him and he'll have the fans back on side.

However, I still think he'll go to Sunderland in this window

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If he goes, he goes, but if he stays, I think he is sensible enough to knuckle down and get on with it.

PS - a song by Jacques Brel springs to mind - "Ne me Quitte pas" or, in English, "If you go away". Great song, with which Rod McKuen had a hit many years ago. The sentiments being something along the lines of "If you go away, you might as well take the sun away, but if you stay, I'll make you a day, like no day has been, or will be again".
Good in English, but better in French. But he might have a better future staying than going is what I am trying to get at.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Because of his selfish attitude the last few weeks and potentially costing us points at Derby with his "lack of focus" .

I know I said ok, but to add, I think that could possibly not be the clear picture you think it is. He has earnt his right to a move if he feels it's the right time, with regards to him not playing, how do you know that is not what the club put out just butter their own toast as it were.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes interesting thread. This is precisely why, he has been badly advised by his agent in requesting a transfer. Its on another thread but Elliott Bennett although, sub at Watford, still made the effort and of course came back in the team and continued with the right attitude.

Liam has some work to do. Its not the wanting to leave that irks me, its the not wanting to play.

Absolutely. Bennett handled the whole situation really well compared to Bridcutt. Whether that's down to agents, Bridcutt or the club, who knows.

I never understood his desperate need to go now anyway. Surely for a player who's never played Premier League football before, he'd be better off going in the summer when he has time to settle at his new club rather than being thrown in to a relegation battle. Also, Sunderland may still go down so he could be back playing Championship football next season anyway.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I know I said ok, but to add, I think that could possibly not be the clear picture you think it is. He has earnt his right to a move if he feels it's the right time, with regards to him not playing, how do you know that is not what the club put out just butter their own toast as it were.

Nobody is saying he hasn't earned the right to a Premier League move. However, the way it's been handled doesn't look great. We also have a right to get a decent fee for him and what seems to be missed is the club (part of which was Gus) made him into a player in demand by Premier League clubs. This seems to have been ignored.

What interests of the clubs would it be for them to say that he was fit but not in the right frame of mind if he was injured. It would just piss him off more.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Saw Banega at the under-20 world cup in Toronto a few years ago, by far the best player in the tournament!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I hope he stays but he has some bridges to build with the club and fans.

Why?

As far as I am concerned, he is a young ambitious player who is a talent and there are clubs looking at him so he can play in the premier league. I would hope every single player we have are also looking to play at some time in the premier, if not they are not ambitious!

Good luck to him if he goes and if he stays and we get to see him play at the standard he was before he was injured then that will be a bonus for us.

We only have the club spin from the welsh menace that he didn't want to play last week!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here