Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

any financial advisors/accountants ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Is anyone on here a financial advisor or accountant ?

I've got a sharesave maturing in August and I want to liberate as much as I can straight away. I understand about selling shares immediately, up to my CGT threshold but I've been told I can also stick some in an ISA and sell them straight away too without paying CGT.

Is that right or do they need to sit in the ISA for a time ?

I've tried reading up on it but it just made my brain hurt.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is there not a thread earlier today on this ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We need to know the share price at the start, how long duration, current share price & number of shares involved.
Nb bet you can't beat my 96p to 1050!?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I know I have a £10900 CGT threshold, but I have more to sell than that and have ben told I can stick them in an ISA and sell them

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012
I know I have a £10900 CGT threshold, but I have more to sell than that and have ben told I can stick them in an ISA and sell them

Right, so how much did they cost you?

How much are they worth now?

Only the gains made inside the ISA wrapper will be exempt from CGT

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

I've got a sharesave maturing in August and I want to liberate as much as I can straight away. I understand about selling shares immediately, up to my CGT threshold but I've been told I can also stick some in an ISA and sell them straight away too without paying CGT.

yes i have done this albeit a good many years ago.

i suggest you actually go see an IFA and make sure its done properly

Happy to help. Call us Monday morning. We are a Chartered Firm of Independent Financial Advisers in Worthing.

www.investment-solutions.co.uk
Investment Solutions Wealth Management
Tel 01903 214640

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
It sounds as though you may have been told about "Bed and Isa" which is a more modern take on "Bed and breakfast" whereby people would sell shares to crystalise a capital gain up to their CGT allowance and then repurchase the shares. This stopped working when CGT matching rules were changed but instead some people sell the shares and then repurchase through an ISA, which doesn't affect the matching rules. Costs of holding shares in an ISA can mount up so bear that in mind. If you have a spouse or civil partner you can transfer shares to them and they can sell and utilise their own CGT allowance.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I'm reliably advised that if you invest in Harveys before 31 March 2014, your sum and any interest will be tax exempt and deductible, not only for the current year, but for life.
The only HMR proviso is that you have a Sussex postcode.
Good luck.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here