Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Mac turns 30.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I used to use one of those, and the predecessor, the Apple IIe. I Used to sell them too, long before the notion of the Apple Store.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Amazing how Apple has transformed to become a heavyweight global company.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
SE30 was my first mac. I now work with Photoshop files that are bigger than the hard drive on that little guy

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
SE30 was my first mac. I now work with Photoshop files that are bigger than the hard drive on that little guy

The Apple IIe I first used had 2 5.25" floppy drives, no HDD, you had to load up the (graphics) software when you switched it on. It was connected to a 20"x20" digitising tablet for reproducing logos as vector files for plotting. When we got the Mac, it had a b/w electronic camera on a tripod, we put the black and white artwork (PMT/Camera ready/bromide) underneath and it 'captured' the image via the camera to the Mac, which then vectorised it for plotting. And that is how your Nissan, Renault, Citroen and many other car dealers got their logos lasered out of garish Perspex and put onto signs back in the 1980s.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Why did the big boobed lady throw a hammer in to the screen of Steve Jobs addressing all his apple fans?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I still have a Macintosh SE which just needs an old keyboard with an ADB connector and a startup floppy disk to complete it (I have the square one button mouse). Any Mac heads got either of these spare?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought this was about Craig Mackail-Smith.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No doubt that Steve Jobs was the one of the great design and marketing geniuses of our time.

Most Apple products genuinely aren't any better than their competitors for the price, yet ingenious design and marketing have made them by far the most popular.

The Ipod even dominated the Japanese market for some time, which is some feat.

Apple are the complete deal though. Their products are not only technologically brilliant and designed incredibly well but they also have second to none after-sales care. This gives them their competitive edge, not price.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The main reason they have the competitive edge over brands like Samsung for example is the marketing & branding, the Apple logo on a device is worth its weight in gold. Technologically Samsung are a superior brand and their products are far better value than that of Apple - and that includes after-sales care (I have had to deal with them several times and they were excellent) but many people will still opt for Apple in the same way people pay more for a pair of Nike's than the cheaper alternatives.

I don't agree. I think you're really underestimating people's intelligence by thinking this. And on the after-sales tip I recently went to Apple store with a kaput years old iPod and came out with a good-as-new refurbed one for 39 euros and the whole process took 5 minutes. A lot of Apple consumers have similar experiences. Is Samsung up for this?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Apple products do well partly because they consistently engender an experience of wonder and playfulness, from how they work and what they feel like e.g the cool-to-the-touch transparent plastic Apple Pro mouse to the way the CD/DVD stuck out like a tongue on the iMac (2nd Gen). Those feelings are conducive to people feeling relaxed and creative. Hence why people have positive associations with Apple, besides the fact the products are reliable and innovative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here