Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums you like by truly appalling acts/bands

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
In true NSC style, I've turned a recent popular thread around. This is tricky - how much do you want to confess to?

I must say, I have some fondness for a trio of what would probably be described by a major label's marketing department as "state of the art rock/pop albums".

With regret, I admit to:

The Killers - Hot Fuss
Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time
Bryan Adams - Reckless

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Look Sharp by Roxette. I have to remind myself that my brother liked the first Go West album to make myself feel better.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This does not work in reverse as if you loved the album they would not be appalling to you would they ?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I disagree, just because you like them doesn't mean that they're not ultimately rubbish. The OP is bang on with Hot Fuss.

I would also like to add 'Cansei de Ser Sexy' by CSS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I quite liked Status Quo "Dog With Two heads"

I really hate just about everything they've done since, mostly because it all sounds pretty much the same and it's juts boring head banging music for the most part.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Are The Killers the latest band to succumb to the "no longer considered cool to like them" label? How can you like Hot Fuss but think The Killers are truly appalling?

This kind of music snobbery really is nonsense.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
One word: Human. Or two words: Sam's Town.

Yes, because having a few bad songs makes a band truly appalling doesn't it?

I'm not sure I could name a band I like who don't have a few songs I dislike.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Are The Killers the latest band to succumb to the "no longer considered cool to like them" label? How can you like Hot Fuss but think The Killers are truly appalling?

This kind of music snobbery really is nonsense.

Yep, including The Killers on this is complete bollocks.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yep, including The Killers on this is complete bollocks.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. There seems to be nothing between "absolutely amazing" and "truly appalling" in a lot of these music discussions.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Yes, because having a few bad songs makes a band truly appalling doesn't it?

It depends on what % of their output appeals to you. There are two songs I can't stand on Hot Fuss, 13 on Sam's Town, 12 on Day and Age, then I gave up. Their stated aim to be as big as possible put me off a bit too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It depends on what % of their output appeals to you. There are two songs I can't stand on Hot Fuss, 13 on Sam's Town, 12 on Day and Age, then I gave up. Their stated aim to be as big as possible put me off a bit too.

I'd be happy to agree with you if you'd said "bands you don't rate" or "bands you're not a fan of", but you've used the word "appalling" which to me suggests a lack of talent and everything they've done is bad, you certainly can't level that at The Killers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here