Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Big Bang Theory.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Is it the best sit-com ever?

I found that it really grated after a while. There's bugger all character-development (perhaps that's the point) - but my main issue is that the group dynamic doesn't work because the Sheldon character is so unlikable. Realistically no-one would bother associating with him.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I found that it really grated after a while. There's bugger all character-development (perhaps that's the point) - but my main issue is that the group dynamic doesn't work because the Sheldon character is so unlikable. Realistically no-one would bother associating with him.

Surely that's the point, and the others are not exactly "down-wit-the-kids" - they're all outcasts essentially.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I think it is a great show, and pretty funny, especially for those that are a bit of a closet geek.

I do think American comedies are much less worried about being PC like the ones here. Last night when Sheldon was comparing himself to being a slave as he had to go somewhere he didn't want, that wouldn't wash over here.

I don't see the point in only showing 2 new episodes and then taking another break till April!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not the best ever, but one of my favourites that's for sure. I think it's great, this week's episode is a cracker.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's quite good but far from the best sitcom ever. It's AMERICAN for goodness sake, so there are far too many episodes and most of the jokes can be seen from about 10 miles away.

Surely that's the point, and the others are not exactly "down-wit-the-kids" - they're all outcasts essentially.

But the other characters are believable, except in that they hang around with this bloke that is nothing but nasty and superior to them and expects to be waited on continually. For me that requirees a massive suspension of belief. But to be honest, the main reason I don't really like the show is as I said in the first place - I just don't like the character, to such an extent that I cringe every time he's on screen. That's without considering the fact that the vast majority of his jokes rely on lampooning people with autism and OCD.

It's quite good but far from the best sitcom ever. It's AMERICAN for goodness sake, so there are far too many episodes and most of the jokes can be seen from about 10 miles away.

That is definitely also a problem with it. Most of the jokes can be spotted within 10 seconds of the start of the scene.

I probably have far too much to say about a programme that I dislike - but unfortunately my wife loves it so I'm forced to watch far too much of it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think each girlfriend has been beautifully written in. Raj's especially.

larus

But the other characters are believable, except in that they hang around with this bloke that is nothing but nasty and superior to them and expects to be waited on continually. For me that requirees a massive suspension of belief. But to be honest, the main reason I don't really like the show is as I said in the first place - I just don't like the character, to such an extent that I cringe every time he's on screen. That's without considering the fact that the vast majority of his jokes rely on lampooning people with autism and OCD.

That is definitely also a problem with it. Most of the jokes can be spotted within 10 seconds of the start of the scene.

I probably have far too much to say about a programme that I dislike - but unfortunately my wife loves it so I'm forced to watch far too much of it.

The thing about comedy is it's subjective. For example, Benny Hill I never found funny. Dad's Army leaves me cold. And Friends I don't see the fuss over.

Personally, I love the Big Bang Theory, and yes, Sheldon is a complete arse, but that's what makes the whole thing work IMO. Look at Blackadder and some of the characters in that. They were OTT too, so I disagree that the characters have to be believable.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Three things make this show, Sheldon, Howard and Penny's boobs.

Overall its a pretty good yank sitcom and it blows how I met your mother out the water, however I don't think it beats Friends. I've been re watching Friends recently, I'm currently on season 7. I forgot how funny it was, its full of sexual innuendo that I never noticed watching when I was younger.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
the Sheldon character is so unlikable. Realistically no-one would bother associating with him.

A good 25% of my employees are exactly like him. We got an outside trainer in who used some snippets of Sheldon's dialogue to demonstrate to my guys why our customers react negatively to some of the things they have said to them. e.g. "Well, that's just dumb", "I know you think that, but you're wrong" & my personal all-time favourite "I can't help it if you're not clever enough to understand what I'm telling you".

The problem is, my staff are invariably correct technically. I spend about 10% of my time dealing with executives from my customers who say "Look, your guys are brilliant - much better than my guys - but can you please get them to stop rubbing my guys' noses in it?!"

At the very top end of the IQ spectrum a poor user interface is often just par for the course, I'm afraid.

Sheldon is not overdone - there are loads of people (nearly always, but not exclusively, men) just like him.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I loved the programme during the first 3-4 seasons, but i've found it has lot its way a little recently - I'm not convinced with the transition of Sheldon from sociopathic geek to slightly camp geek-chic...as if the writers have tried to glamourise geekdom in a way. I'm not sure if it's me just being bitter at being a geek that's not as successful as him or not.

Anyway, i do love the show.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It helps that Hayley Cuoco (that's her name right?) is SLIGHTLY phenomenal......as an actress of course. As an actress.

Speaking of American Sit coms....I can't WAIT for Modern family to retun.

Porbably not everyones cup of tea but I love it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here