Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini, France and Euro 2016

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
So France, as hosts will now be involved in the qualifying but with no points involved in games they feature in?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25870855

Euro 2016: Hosts France to feature in qualifying

England could face France in their Euro 2016 qualifying group - but no points will be at stake with the tournament hosts' finals place already secure.
The rule change from Uefa sees France become the first host nation to take part in a Euro qualification phase.
Their addition to the group-stage draw will create nine pools of six teams, yet the games will be "centralised friendlies" with no points awarded.
The six seeding pots will be named on Friday before the draw on 23 February.
Uefa's new rule is outlined in Euro 2016 regulation article 21.02, which reads: "The teams drawn into the group of five teams will have France added to their group for the purpose of playing."
England are expected to to placed in the top-tier Pot One following their unbeaten record in qualification for the 2014 World Cup.
As a result, Belgium, Republic of Ireland, Croatia and Sweden are amongst their potential opponents.
Uefa will confirm the seeding positions after their two-day executive committee meeting in Nyon, Switzerland.
Gibraltar, accepted as a separate Uefa member state after winning a court ruling, will be in in the draw for the first time.
It is possible Uefa could keep Gibraltar and Spain apart in the qualifying draw for political reasons.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
At least it gives the teams who have to play them another couple of friendlies to give some of the fringe players some experience.
Basically a bonkers idea, though.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I guess they have the thinking that it will allow the host nation not to lose ranking points like Brazil have. Not the worst idea ever as it will give all teams the games to experiment and fine time tactics

I guess they have the thinking that it will allow the host nation not to lose ranking points like Brazil have. Not the worst idea ever as it will give all teams the games to experiment and fine time tactics

Yes, I agree with you that actually it's not that terrible an idea, and in recent history some hosts have struggled without regular games in the run up to a major tournament. However, it just had to be the bloody French that were the first to benefit, didn't it? I have a certain grudging admiration for how blatant Platini is with his pro-France, anti-everyone else (particularly England) view though.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Is it possible that those in the same group as France can be afforded an easier qualification because France will be the highest seeded team?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here