Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsene Wenger - Sad man now

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Moaning that Chelsea shouldn't be allowed to sell Mata to Manure because they are doing it to try and stop Arsenal winning a trophy!!!

On the basis that Chelsea have already played United twice this season

Much as I hate Chelsea I'm sure that selling a player they don't seem to want for £37M weighs in as a better reason.

I used to think Wenger was ok but the bloke has lost his marbles

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Surely every game that Chelsea play is to try and stop Arsenal- or anyone else- winning the title?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Moaning that Chelsea shouldn't be allowed to sell Mata to Manure because they are doing it to try and stop Arsenal winning a trophy!!!

On the basis that Chelsea have already played United twice this season

Much as I hate Chelsea I'm sure that selling a player they don't seem to want for £37M weighs in as a better reason.

I used to think Wenger was ok but the bloke has lost his marbles

Wow. He's lost the plot with that one...

Did he sell RVP to man utd to stop Chelsea winning the league last year? If so, well played arsene.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

To put it into context, here's footage of the actual press conference. Words blown out of proportion, if you ask me.

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25863298[/video]

I can understand how it is being interpreted by many – and a lot of people are pointing to the likes of RVP, Toure, Nasri, etc, in the "selling to rivals" part of his quote, but that is misleading. He seems to be questioning the whole idea of the transfer window mid-season, which, to me, is fair enough.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Well if he was, thats bloody ridiculous.

Who was it who sold RVP to Man U ? EVERYONE had 2 games to play vs a RVP-boosted Man U when he did that.

He's definitely lost it. A few times lately I've actually been worried about about his mental state - I can understand sticking up for you club and players but some of the things he says these days border on obsession and a lack of reality.

The last two previous seasons he looked ill in some interviews and it was really getting to him, IMHo I think he's had a good run of games which have saved him but if they fail to get anything this season.....

He's lucky Manure have been so bad and they have hard games coming up now

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
To put it into context, here's footage of the actual press conference. Words blown out of proportion, if you ask me.

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25863298[/video]

I can understand how it is being interpreted by many – and a lot of people are pointing to the likes of RVP, Toure, Nasri, etc, in the "selling to rivals" part of his quote, but that is misleading. He seems to be questioning the whole idea of the transfer window mid-season, which, to me, is fair enough.

He says it's not fair especially at the end of the interview when he says its not a level playing field.

So what does he want? A transfer window at the start of the season and nothing till the next season? Or does he want a open transfer window all season long? Or several windows spread along the season? Perhaps you can only buy or sell someone when you have played the same number of games?

What a load of tosh, what he wants is for people only to buy or sell players when he does - the blokes lost it!

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I don't think he was being ENTIRELY serious...

Spot on think Mr wenger like s to get a rise out of the media silly games he knows what he is saying is rubbish he s a very intelligent man 3yr contract 26mill you don t get offered that kind of money with out the right khoners

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Can't really feel sorry for Wenger but I think the Van Persie thing was slightly different. Didn't Wenger want to sell RVP to Juventus once RVP said he wanted to leave (rather than sell to a rival) but the player wanted to go to United and so if Arsenal didn't sell him to United he'd have simply gone there for nothing a few months later?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wenger lost the plot? So where in the league are the Arse right now? Hmmm . . . .

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its because he isnt a lover of the Jan window. Although he IS advocating an all season window up to the last six games like it used to be. That being the case this means Utd could buy Mata at anytime if they wanted. So in effect its nonsense.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its because he isnt a lover of the Jan window. Although he IS advocating an all season window up to the last six games like it used to be. That being the case this means Utd could buy Mata at anytime if they wanted. So in effect its nonsense.

Exactly - and £37M for a player you don't play aint bad either

Also I didn't hear Wenger bleating when he wanted to sign Surarez

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm not a fan of Wenger. he always comes across as a prat.

I lost respect for him when he claimed one year (mid 2000's, i think) that Utd weren't the best team in the league...the year Utd won the league. Yes Arsene, now it's time for your sponge bath...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's definitely lost it. A few times lately I've actually been worried about about his mental state - I can understand sticking up for you club and players but some of the things he says these days border on obsession and a lack of reality.

The last two previous seasons he looked ill in some interviews and it was really getting to him, IMHo I think he's had a good run of games which have saved him but if they fail to get anything this season.....

He's lucky Manure have been so bad and they have hard games coming up now

Yes, because these are the words of a man that has "definitely lost it" :FFSPuncheon:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/23/arsene-wenger-motives-chelsea-juan-mata?CMP=twt_gu

Again, it adds even more context to what Wenger was saying, and also refers to the RVP situation, which has been mentioned in this thread.

Arsène Wenger fears that cynical short-term motives, together with fresh financial imperatives, have underpinned Chelsea's decision to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United.

The Arsenal manager expressed his surprise that Chelsea should do business with a Premier League rival, albeit one that is flagging this season, and he warned his Stamford Bridge counterpart, José Mourinho, that he could live to regret the decision in the longer term.

Wenger suggested that Chelsea considered the £40m sale, which is close to being finalised, as beneficial to their title challenge, in that Mata stands to be able to help United in their upcoming fixtures against Arsenal and Manchester City, who sit first and second in the table, ahead of Chelsea in third.

Chelsea played their second league match of the season against United at Stamford Bridge last Sunday, which they won 3-1 – Mata was an unused substitute – and, afterwards, Mourinho said with a smile that he now hoped United "beat all of them [the top clubs] to finish top four."

"He [Mourinho] sums up what Chelsea's thinking is," Wenger said, with regard to Mata. Wenger stressed that Chelsea had done nothing wrong but it was clear that he felt they had sought to manipulate the market.

"I am surprised because Juan Mata is a great player and they sell a great player to a direct opponent," Wenger said. "It opens [up] again a little bit the opportunity of this transfer market [in January] because Chelsea had already played twice against Man United so they don't play again. They could have sold him last week [before the United game].

"It opens, at least, the opportunity of the dates of this transfer window. Some teams have already played twice against one opponent and some others, not. If you want to respect the fairness for everybody exactly in the game, that should not happen. I just think you would want that everybody is on the same level. I can understand completely what Chelsea is doing. They do not do the rules but, maybe, the rules should be a bit more adapted to more fairness."

Wenger came in for criticism for selling Robin van Persie in the summer of 2012 to United. "Yes," he said. "That's why I was surprised [about the Mata deal]. In our defence, we were in a more explicable situation because Van Persie had only one year to go. He was 29 and had played here for a long time. It was not a club that I wanted to sell Van Persie to. I wanted to sell him to Juventus. But he had decided to go to Man United and, at the end of the day, you need the agreement of the three parties."

Wenger said that Mata was a player he "loved" – he tried to sign him from Valencia before Chelsea got him in 2011. The Arsenal manager does not see United as being in decline and he believes that Chelsea might come to regret moving him to Old Trafford.

"They could," he said. "I don't think about Man United like you think about Man United. It's a short moment in their history and I don't see Man United as a club in decline. This can happen to any big club but they will come up again, don't worry."

Wenger did take into account the size of the fee that United will pay for Mata – a club record £40m – and he veered from his slightly conspiratorial theme when he said that the money was the most persuasive reason for Chelsea's sale.

"That is the first time I come to that conclusion with Chelsea," Wenger said. "It means somewhere that Chelsea changes philosophy and they want to get on line with financial fair play. That is a good thing. They sold [Kevin] De Bruyne [to Wolfsburg for €20m]. And Mata. They lost £50m last year, disguised. Maybe it's more. If they get £37m now for Mata … "

Arsenal take on Coventry City in the FA Cup at home on Friday night and Wenger said that he would name a strong team in order to maintain the club's momentum. But he feels that something has to change on football's financial side.

"If you imagine 20 clubs in the Premier League with 20 multi-billionaires," Wenger said. "At some stage, they have to sit down and say, 'Look, we are killing each other just for the sake to pay higher wages, or do we make a rule that makes sense?'

"It will happen in the longer term, there's no other way. We had only one or two billionaires at the start but once we have 10, they have to respect some rules or they kill each other and it's endless."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here