Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pop-up/Advert prevention help

Jimmy Grimble

First of all I need to stress that I'm a computer-flid so I may be asking a very simple question here or might not explain my issue very well, but here it goes...

Since using a few streams to watch our match against Derby last week my laptop (3 months old) has been suffering from countless pop-ups and adverts, causing (I think) the laptop to run ridiculously slow. I have pop-ups turned off in my chrome settings and have protection in the form of an AVG trial (downloaded before using the streams), which says there are currently there no issues with the laptop, which is clearly a LIE.

How the hell do I prevent these intolerable things? It's driving me insane. I can't even type this message with the screen freeezing.

Please help me.

Last edited:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Fist of all I need to stress that I'm a computer-flid so I may be asking a very simple question here or might not explain my issue very well, but here it goes...

Since using a few streams to watch our match against Derby last week my laptop (3 months old) has been suffering from countless pop-ups and adverts, causing (I think) the laptop to run ridiculously slow. I have pop-ups turned off in my chrome settings and have protection in form of an AVG trial (downloaded before using the streams), which say there are currently there no issues with the laptop, which is clearly a LIE.

How the hell do I prevent these intolerable things? It's driving me insane. I can't even type this message with the screen freeezing.

Please help me.

Clear all cookies etc, then download and run anti malwarebytes free. Cannot post a link as on tablet, just Google it

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Clear all cookies etc, then download and run anti malwarebytes free. Cannot post a link as on tablet, just Google it

That's good advice. Also, look at the programs in your Control Panel to see which ones have been recently installed. They may be several that are just Ad programs that you can uninstall. If they don't uninstall this way, then anti malwarebytes should get rid of them.

Jimmy Grimble

Thanks... I've done this and it's currently scanning my file system...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Would that be the site where I warned people to be careful?

Jimmy Grimble

Seems to have worked. Thanks [MENTION=26234]Eaglesdestroyseagulls[/MENTION]

Are there any free pretection/anti-virus programs that are worth downloading to prevent something like this happening again?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Are there any free pretection/anti-virus programs that are worth downloading to prevent something like this happening again?

Well you've found Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which is great and which I use weekly to scan for nasties, but the free version won't protect you against dodgy downloads.

AVG is okay, but I use Avast! Free Anti-Virus (as recommended by PC Pro) which protects while surfing, and also does scans.

Best advice is to be careful what you click on - personally, I've got a Linux laptop that I use for streaming (or any other potentially dodgy surfing :blush:). Keeps my main PC clean!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

Glad it worked. You may have had some adware in your machine. Streams are perfectly safe but do not click on anything that says you need this or that as you can download something nasty. On all those pop up adverts is a little x somewhere, find that and then click it and that will get rid of the advert. Do not be fooled by the obvious big X that they place on the advert as that will just lead you to an advert/download as well.

Personally I have always used the free version of avira and never had a problem, it updates itself and pretty much runs in the background. If you are downloading anything that has something nasty in it avira will pop up telling you it has been blocked. Its very good in my opinion.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

You already have malwarebytes and that is very good, run a quick scan with that once a week or if you suspect something is wrong again and you should be perfectly fine. If you do download avira then uninstall any other virus protection and turn off MSE(microsoft security essentials) if you have it on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here