Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace after Buckley. (according to Palace journo)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ing-brighton-winger-will-buckley-9080211.html

Crystal Palace keen on signing Brighton winger Will Buckley

Buckley signed a new deal last year

Ed Aarons Published: 23 January 2014
Updated: 12:32, 23 January 2014
Crystal Palace boss Tony Pulis is targeting a swoop for winger Will Buckley from arch-enemies Brighton to boost the Eagles’ survival bid.

Sunderland had a £1.5million bid for the 24-year-old turned down at the start of the window and Gus Poyet remains interested in signing his former player.

But with Palace seeking attacking reinforcements having yet to bolster their squad in this window, Pulis is hoping to steal a march on their relegation rivals by snatching the former Watford star.

It is understood that a bid of around £2 million could be enough to persuade Brighton boss Oscar Garcia to sell, even though Buckley is happy to stay at The Amex having signed a new contract last January. But he is thought to be open to a move to the Premier League, even if it is to the Seagulls’ deadly rivals.

Buckley has scored just one goal in the Championship this season but is set to return from injury this weekend in the FA Cup fourth round trip to Port Vale. He managed to find the net eight times last season and is the type of direct winger Pulis is looking for, as well as a new centre forward.

If Buckley did make the move up the A23, he would follow in the footsteps of striker Glenn Murray, who joined Palace on a free transfer in 2011 having helped the Seagulls win promotion by scoring 22 goals in League One.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why accept £2M if Sunderland are prepared to pay more ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
With his injury record, I don't think they would pay that much money at all

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
FFS another binfest about who and who not we should sell to one club or another

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus will have to get Sunderland to up their offer now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
FFS another binfest about who and who not we should sell to one club or another

It's what happens in the transfer window, maybe you should log off until February, or follow Gus at Sunderland for a couple of weeks?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would sell if the bid tops £3million - maybe less if his injury problems are likely to be a recurring theme.

Would be a £2million profit on a player who has been inconsistent and struggles with injuries and does not seem to fit into Oscar Garcia's approach which seems to favour more central players than out and out wingers.

That isn't to say I don't rate/like Buckley. I do. But that sort of fee would be a club record, could be part used to tackle the annual losses and reinvested in the squad. Also, likely to be a decent earner, so wages could be reinvested elsewhere.

Happy if he stays. Won't be too bothered if he goes, for the right price.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Gus will have to get Sunderland to up their offer now.

he will have to run it by BW first

It's what happens in the transfer window, maybe you should log of until February, or follow Gus at Sunderland for a couple of weeks?

yes I know it does but until the ink is dry on a contract why worry
yes I do like Sunderland .....................long before our ex-manager went there but I am and always will be Albion till I die

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I have loved watching Buckley for the first two seasons at the Amex. He is superb when fit and in form. However, this season he has been poor for the vast majority of the time (largely I think because Oscar has not been allowing him to hug the right touchline as he did under Gus).

Having recently read Zlatan Ibrahimovic's book, which gives a revealing insight into the way transfers actually work rather than the way they're 'legally' supposed to work (all be it, his were at a slightly higher level!) these stories don't come from nowhere - and my hunch is that the club may have been putting about word of his potential availability via an agent.

Just a shame the only interested parties are the last clubs in the world that we would want to sell to!!

Jimmy Grimble

His injury 'problems' are being over-egged, IMO. 29 matches in his first year with us, 35 last season. For a winger playing in a system that often only required one orthodox wide man that really isn't too bad. Admittedly this year has been frustrating but he's still played 18 games. Don't quite get the desire some have to sell our players - particularly ones that are match-winners who probably have the technical and physical attributes to play in the top flight (and one of the very few quick players we have!). He still has the ability to drive us into the play-offs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here