Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus after Ulloa?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Poyet this, Poyet that....FFS...it seems that this man is the centre of the Universe for some of the posters on here. Everytime he shits or blows his nose, there are people on here writing about it. They keep wishing him and his players the best of luck and not begrudging any of ours a move to Wearside. If you want to carry on a love affair with Gus Poyet...BECOME A SUNDERLAND FAN.
It doesn't seem to matter to a lot on here that he is de-stabilising us. He has unsettled our best player to such an extent that his head has gone and he doesn't want to turn out for us prior to his move. He is allowing himself to be linked with other players via the media and fanning the flames.
He burnt his bridges with us, big time. He held our club to ransom and scuppered our chances of promotion but still some of you think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I was TB, I wouldn't do any business with him out of principle.
I guess a lot on here will never be able to move on and will never pay Oscar Garcia the respect he deserves.

The point is, what do you expect? Managers are turned on by fans and sacked by clubs at the drop of a hat. Every manager that has ever moved clubs has always returned to have a look at the players he rated and trusted. Since when has there been some kind of moral code that this shouldn't happen? It's laughable that people find this offensive or surprising.

Yes it's destabilising, but if you're going to have a top Championship team with quality players, it's going to happen.

Like you say, it's up to TB to decide what to do, and hopefully it's a footballing decision and not a personal one. If Sunderland for example offered us a load of cash plus say Connor Wickham and maybe even a loan signing, you wouldn't take that on principle!? I bloody would if I felt it helped our football club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gus pursued or the club?

I can't see TB selling Leo 12 months after it took us 18 months to get him here, also remember we turned down £5m from palace for him in the summer

Gus kept his powder dry to wait for Ulloa to become available - that was money he could have spent elsewhere a lot sooner, but instead he held fire because he wanted Ulloa. That shows how highly he rates him, so it will come as no surprise if he does come in for him this month.

Just like any other player we get an offer for, TB willl sell if he feels the price is right.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Why don't we just clear the decks, sell everyone to Sunderland and to any other club that wants one of our players and Oscar can start again from scratch with a group of players that are 'his' players?

Maybe that is what's happening? ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The point is, what do you expect? Managers are turned on by fans and sacked by clubs at the drop of a hat. Every manager that has ever moved clubs has always returned to have a look at the players he rated and trusted. Since when has there been some kind of moral code that this shouldn't happen? It's laughable that people find this offensive or surprising.

Yes it's destabilising, but if you're going to have a top Championship team with quality players, it's going to happen.

Like you say, it's up to TB to decide what to do, and hopefully it's a footballing decision and not a personal one. If Sunderland for example offered us a load of cash plus say Connor Wickham and maybe even a loan signing, you wouldn't take that on principle!? I bloody would if I felt it helped our football club.

His point is 'If I was TB, I wouldn't deal with Gus on principle...'

How unprofessional and self-defeating is that?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Gus kept his powder dry to wait for Ulloa to become available - that was money he could have spent elsewhere a lot sooner, but instead he held fire because he wanted Ulloa. That shows how highly he rates him, so it will come as no surprise if he does come in for him this month.

Just like any other player we get an offer for, TB willl sell if he feels the price is right.

If Gus is bidding for Ulloa, it would be fascinating to see how far we push them.

Again, I've always had the simplisitic view that you don't sell someone when they make an "fair" bid. The whole POINT is that someone offers too much to resist for that player.

We may well end up being the recepients of Sunderlands desperation. They have no fire power. Altidore is horrendous and Fletcher has lost his mojo. Their ONE opportunity to get firepower in to assure survival is now. If ever there was a time to eek as much cash from a deal as possible it would be this opportunity.

I don't want to lose Ulloa in any way....but if Sunderland want to offer crazy money for him then I wouldn't complain.

Tha Fubol.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I'm not sure why anyone would be even a little bit surprised if he tried to lure away players he signed. Poyet is only interested in what will improve his current team, he's not going to give a shit what Brighton fans or board members think.

I'm not sure he ever did; certainly not in the last twelve months. He has one massively over-inflated ego.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bridcutt is the only one that could cut it at PL, as a regular in a starting 11. Better than Cattermole.

Buckley a couple of years back looked PL class, easily, but has proven injury prone and his game has stagnated/deteriorated, and is very inconsistent.
Ulloa is also injury prone, and lacks pace and mobility. He would be coming up against pace-y, tall, powerful centre-halves, all good defenders, and I think would struggle. Stephen Fletcher is better at doing what Ulloa does, and has operated against far better defenders.

Sunderland, if you look at their web forums/media, hardly ever mention the Albion and those 3 players - Poyet is looking far and wide in Europe and South America. A lot of this noise is simply navel-gazing on NSC and the Argus!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Gus is bidding for Ulloa, it would be fascinating to see how far we push them.

Again, I've always had the simplisitic view that you don't sell someone when they make an "fair" bid. The whole POINT is that someone offers too much to resist for that player.

We may well end up being the recepients of Sunderlands desperation. They have no fire power. Altidore is horrendous and Fletcher has lost his mojo. Their ONE opportunity to get firepower in to assure survival is now. If ever there was a time to eek as much cash from a deal as possible it would be this opportunity.

I don't want to lose Ulloa in any way....but if Sunderland want to offer crazy money for him then I wouldn't complain.

Tha Fubol.

Wise words indeed.

D

Deleted member 22389

If Sunderland came in with £10,000,000 for all three + player, I think I would take that. Problem we have is that Poyet is sounding off in the press. Think in turn this is unsettling our players.
Honestly what are our players going to opt for, a chance of Premier League football and a chance of trippling their wages or staying with us.

May it is time we cleared out and started again with Oscar signings, because at the end of the day we need people here who are committed to the club again.
We need players trained up the Oscar way not the Poyet way. Their mindsets are completely different.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sunderland, if you look at their web forums/media, hardly ever mention the Albion and those 3 players - Poyet is looking far and wide in Europe and South America. A lot of this noise is simply navel-gazing on NSC and the Argus!

If Sunderland came in with £10,000,000 for all three + player, I think I would take that. Problem we have is that Poyet is sounding off in the press. Think in turn this is unsettling our players.
Honestly what are our players going to opt for, a chance of Premier League football and a chance of trippling their wages or staying with us.

May it is time we cleared out and started again with Oscar signings, because at the end of the day we need people here who are committed to the club again.
We need players trained up the Oscar way. Some of our players are used to Poyet way unfortunately.

Where? The OP is quoting a betting site, not the press. It's all speculation at the moment.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
1. He's under contract so not his choice.
2. Why go to a club that are almost certainly going to get relegated ?
3. Why would we even contemplate selling our prize striker when we have no one remotely like him to replace him ?

NO CHANCE !! Unless they offer at least £8million and we have someone of better quality lined up to replace already.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure he ever did; certainly not in the last twelve months. He has one massively over-inflated ego.

Yes I know. I felt like he'd done a crap under my seat for the first few games this season, the stink he left behind was so bad, but as the season has gone on the smell has gone and I'm just glad we have Oscar in charge. No denying what Poyet did for us on the pitch but I never liked him or his ego, although he can be quite charismatic. Not that that should matter, he's employed to get the team winning and put bums on seats, he did that admirably.

I'm over him now and can't get wound up that he's looking to take players he signed, especially if they want to play for him again. We may have to take one step back to go forward again. IF Ulloa and Buckley want to go and we can get decent money for them, so be it. I hope Oscar will get the backing from any sales to build his own team.

I'm quite relaxed about what happened now, having been well pissed off in the early summer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Tha Fubol.

Indeed.

Timing is everything as well. If a crazy offer came in that was too good to turn down, but it were to happen late in the month and we didn't have anything coming back the other way in the deal (ie Wickham), with no time to sign an adequate replacement, then from a promising position, that'd basically be writing off the rest of the season.

Having already lost Barnes, it really WOULD have to be a crazy offer to lose Ulloa this month, so I don't *think* it will happen. If it did though, and we're left scratching around in the loan market next month to try and plug a large Argentinian-sized gap, then this will not be a very happy place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here