Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone on here doing / has done Media Studies A Level...

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Anyone who did is probably sleeping rough or sweeping gutters so likely don't have a computer.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I know someone who did it. He now works as a labour says himself it was a waste of time.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I did A-Level Media Studies. It was like a training course to be a fanzine writer: cutting out magazines, interviewing people, designing CD cases, reading and making up press releases...

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Did A Level Film studies and now doing a degree in it? Can I offer any assistance?

You are doing a degree studying FILMS? I spent many happy hours as a student studying *ahem* European cinema.

All I got was a very muscular right arm, myopia and bloodshot eyes.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone who did is probably sleeping rough or sweeping gutters so likely don't have a computer.

Ha,ha.

I've got a degree in it (with Business Management) and I've done alright.

Got me a foot in the door in the TV industry in which I've worked for other 20 years. The BS bit was frankly er.. BS.

I started carrying in boxes of tapes...

Funny isn't it ? It's considered a complete waste of time but many many people who do it end up in the media in some capacity.

I know loads of people. I've probably met 100s. They've paid in taxes thousands more than their degree cost the country.

I ended up in the IT/Engineering side, but it was the Media Studies that got me the initial job as part of that course I was required to do work experience.

Foot in the door, never been out of work since.

Sorry to disprove the theory.

Will you end up a film director ? Probably not.

Earn a living doing one of the hundreds of different roles ? You have as good a chance as anyone else.

I can give you countless examples of degrees that probably are a waste of time, but Media Studies isn't. Sorry.

Last edited:

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
You are doing a degree studying FILMS? I spent many happy hours as a student studying *ahem* European cinema.

All I got was a very muscular right arm, myopia and bloodshot eyes.

Film and Theatre, even more poncey! Hahaha, what uni was that?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Ha,ha.

I've got a degree in it (with Business Management) and I've done alright.

Got me a foot in the door in the TV industry in which I've worked for other 20 years. The BS bit was frankly er.. BS.

I started carrying in boxes of tapes...

Funny isn't it ? It's considered a complete waste of time but many many people who do it end up in the media in some capacity.

I know loads of people. I've probably met 100s. They've paid in taxes thousands more than their degree cost the country.

I ended up in the IT/Engineering side, but it was the Media Studies that got me the initial job as part of that course I was required to do work experience.

Foot in the door, never been out of work since.

Sorry to disprove the theory.

Will you end up a film director ? Probably not.

Earn a living doing one of the hundreds of different roles ? You have as good a chance as anyone else.

I can give you countless examples of degrees that probably are a waste of time, but Media Studies isn't. Sorry.

So, you're degree got you a job... carrying around boxes.

Simply proves the point it's a joke subject.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yeh but none of these jobs actually require the degree do they.

Completely disagree. Even in my own field. Fell asleep during "post modernism" but having been forced to make programmes at University (albeit badly) I picked up a lot of the technical stuff.

Another example in my head being "compliance". This is where people make decisions regarding certification and also advising what cuts should be made. This happens a lot these days especially in the satellite cable world where programmes that were originally made for showing in the evening are played during the day to fill up the schedules.

A bad example being Dallas shown during the day on "UK Classic Gold Repeats plus 1".

You are generally much better at it if you understand how programmes are structured to ensure the programme still flows.

If I use another example, let's say you work in the cake ma!ing industry but aren't employed to actually make them. Studying how they are made does actually help.

Problem I have is I don't watch much TV to be honest. I often have to seek advice from those you are genuinely interested in it and they often have a media/creative type degree.

Personally I fell into it completely by accident. I did media studies because er..it was there. It was hardly studied when I did it.

The general point I'm making is that it isn't a waste of time. Hundreds of thousands of people are employed in the media and many have associated degrees.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Why is it a joke subject? Being media literate (such as understanding how news and meaning is generated, reading between the lines, knowing how the TV and radio is organised, how the record industry and advertising works) is very useful in many jobs. Also, good skills and knowledge to have for their own sake.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

20 years ago.

I carried boxes for 6 months. I then managed a library for MTV, got into software development developing library systems.

Worked in IT for a bit, now have a Masters in Computer Science from a major University.

All because I got a foot in the door with a degree in Media Studies. Not a waste of time believe me.

I've met some very very clever IT professionals, quite brilliant. But many fail because they don't get how TV works. If only they had a another qualification in media studies.....

I studied under the old grant regime (Masters self funded) and have paid back thousands more in taxes that the grant ever cost.

I understand why "The Media" isn't considered a proper industry. I personally don't watch much TV or listen to music. But employed in it I am by accident and don't know anything else. Like the 99% also employed I don't anything creative, but having studied it definitely helps.

Sorry.

I struggle to understand why a degree associated with a huge succesful UK industry is considered a joke. Does that apply to the computer games industry ? I use that as an example because they were always hanging outside when I studied my Masters trying to tap us up, and that's also a major UK success.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's easier than working for a living.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

And out of interest what are you currently studying at Uni ?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Probably helps understanding the difference between your and you're though :)

A lot is said about some degrees being a waste of time but if you study something for 3 years that you really, really enjoy then what is the issue?

I studied Sociology which lots of people rip the piss out of but I did it because I was really interested in the subject, I attended every lecture for 3 years and had the best time of my life. Hardly a waste.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
20 years ago.

I carried boxes for 6 months. I then managed a library for MTV, got into software development developing library systems.

Worked in IT for a bit, now have a Masters in Computer Science from a major University.

All because I got a foot in the door with a degree in Media Studies. Not a waste of time believe me.

I've met some very very clever IT professionals, quite brilliant. But many fail because they don't get how TV works. If only they had a another qualification in media studies.....

I studied under the old grant regime (Masters self funded) and have paid back thousands more in taxes that the grant ever cost.

I understand why "The Media" isn't considered a proper industry. I personally don't watch much TV or listen to music. But employed in it I am by accident and don't know anything else. Like the 99% also employed I don't anything creative, but having studied it definitely helps.

Sorry.

I struggle to understand why a degree associated with a huge succesful UK industry is considered a joke. Does that apply to the computer games industry ? I use that as an example because they were always hanging outside when I studied my Masters trying to tap us up, and that's also a major UK success.

Because you have admitted multiple times that you didn't need the degree to get a job in the industry, you've said it about 3 times.

That's (meant to be) the entire point of doing a degree, no?

All the people going to university to do these joke degrees is the reason the rest of us have to pay so much.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All the people going to university to do these joke degrees is the reason the rest of us have to pay so much.

How would lowering the number of people doing degrees drop the price you're having to pay ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did Media Studies up to AS Level, then I realised it was utterly pointless. It was quite good fun though, so I don't regret doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here