Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Water cannons on the street

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Scary stuff, they are capable of causing serious injury.

Behave. There has to be SOME kind of thing that will make a mob stop in its tracks or run away. And the threat of a good wash is hardly the ultimate deterrent compared to, say, the use of rubber bullets or tear gas. Having said that, the Met would no doubt seize the chance to use it with extreme prejudice.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Behave. There has to be SOME kind of thing that will make a mob stop in its tracks or run away. And the threat of a good wash is hardly the ultimate deterrent compared to, say, the use of rubber bullets or tear gas. Having said that, the Met would no doubt seize the chance to use it with extreme prejudice.

Just been reading about some guy in Germany who was permanently blinded by the use of water cannon. The water is fired at high pressure. If you don't think that's capable of injuring people, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
On the assumption that they won't be firing it at random pedestrians I can't see that it's anything to worry about

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just been reading about some guy in Germany who was permanently blinded by the use of water cannon. The water is fired at high pressure. If you don't think that's capable of injuring people, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I've seen a firehose fired at close quarters thank you for asking and am fully aware of the consequences of being hit full-on. it's like being hit by a brick. But the blinded guy presumably took a direct hit in the face from fairly close quarters and that's not how they are supposed to be used. Preferable by far to tear gas or rubber bullets IMHO.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I predict that there will be some significant protests all around the world in 2014. I am losing count of the amount of new anti-establishment groups and movements popping up.

The acquisition and use of water canons will only further the peoples resentment of the state.

The only significant protests we're likely to see in the UK in 2014 is a re-enactment of
a) Chavs nicking trainers and burning their own shitty town down without thinking it through
or
b) Students mildly annoyed, on their parents behalf, at having their tuition fees bumped up again

We've lost the art of legitimate mass protest in this country. Hard to see it coming back anytime soon.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The acquisition and use of water canons will only further the peoples resentment of the state.

I would agree with this. Whilst some people have been proper toerags at demos and have deserved everything they have gotten, many (if not most) protesters are exercising their democratic right. Indiscriminate weapons and tactics such as water cannons (and 'kettling') can increase the feeling of distrust between legitimate protesters and the state.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to only target the naughty toerags.

franks brother

So they are expecting government policies to result in ‘behaviour’ that requires the intervention of water cannon. Perhaps then the appropriate move is to use the water cannon on the government and actually try to avoid civil unrest rather than prepping to meet it head on.

P.S. If they think water cannon is the answer then they really need to rethink the question.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here