Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV Comedy phrases you use in real life

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Following on from the comedy 'head to head' threads I got to thinking about how influential some of these programmes really are.

Quite of lot of Partridge lines and phrases have passed into my common usage, i.e. "back of the net", "smell my cheese", "mentalist", "sex people" etc but my personal favourite is one I use every year at 11am on 25th December when my wife and I adjust our dining table for Christmas dinner - "Yes, it's an extender!"

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I find myself saying "nadgers" which i got from Bottom - although my nadgers have never been found in my actual bottom or anyone else's - and "bed goes up, bed goes down" *repeat* and use reference to the "sword of Damacles" thanks to The Simpsons. All other comedic comments are of my own making. *copyright*

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Find myself saying 'Lovley Jubbley' a fair ammount now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Personally .... "vanished like an old oak table".

I found it rather amusing when I went to Egypt that so many of the locals would greet me with "Lovely Jubbly"

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
You started it - you invaded Poland

What did you expect the Hanging Gardens of Babylon perhaps

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Following on from the comedy 'head to head' threads I got to thinking about how influential some of these programmes really are.

Quite of lot of Partridge lines and phrases have passed into my common usage, i.e. "back of the net", "smell my cheese", "mentalist", "sex people" etc but my personal favourite is one I use every year at 11am on 25th December when my wife and I adjust our dining table for Christmas dinner - "Yes, it's an extender!"

Same. Ridiculous amount of Partridge makes it into my conversation. One of the easiest to use is 'Lovely stuff' and I'm very proud that some of my friends now use it, having never heard it in it's original context.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Not really a comedy phrase but.....smashing super lovely

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
More Partridgeisms:

"Absolutely"
"It's not 5 star but certainly competitive"
"Rock and roll, let's all have a PEAR"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports