Should be fairly one-sided...

porridge.jpg

vs.

fawlty_towers.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It would have made life a lot easier if you had put these heavyweights up early against stuff like Brush Strokes and Robins Nest!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It would have made life a lot easier if you had put these heavyweights up early against stuff like Brush Strokes and Robins Nest!

I only initially was gonna do Office vs Partridge, now I'm just doing Quarters, Semis and Final. Perhaps we should do a proper Comedy World Cup...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cor blimey Porridge making a fight of it! I'm a fan of both but I thought it would be a walkover for Cleese and co.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fawlty Towers relied too much on Cleese whereas Porridge had several really good comic actors.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Not a fan of Porridge (despite Barker's comedy genius) so it has to be Fawlty.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fawlty. however, i had to deep analyse this, Porridge is the better craft but not sure i could all out individual episodes. Fawlty gave us the Germans and siberian hamsters.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't think Porridge has aged as badly as Fawlty Towers.

The majority of FT's comedy relied on Cleese's manic behaviour and Sach's stereotyping.

There was a bit more thought that went into Porridge - and I'm a fan of Clement/La Frenais.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst I agree FT is quite straightforward, I can't think of another comedy in history with writing this tight and PERFECT.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Porridge for me. A brilliant 'father-son' relationship between Fletcher and Godber with the Fletcher / McKay duelling an added bonus.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Another tough call but lines like this mean only one winner, especially as I saw this episode whilst staying in a Torquay Hotel on a 6th Form field trip:

Mrs Richards:- "When I pay for a room with a view, I expect to see the sea."
Fawlty: "You CAN see the sea! It's over there, between the land and the sky!"
MR:- "Well, it's just not good enough!"
F:- "Well, may I ask what madam was expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom? Sydney Opera House? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?"
MR:- "I expect a discount"
F:- "Why? Because Krakatoa isnt erupting at the moment??"

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Cleese. No, Barker. No, Cleese. Doh - can't decide!!

I'll go for..........

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Really tough one to call.
FT probably edges it on writing. Porridge for the depth of the character performances.

I have gone for Porridge purely based on Ronnie Barker's assured comic acting over Cleese's manic performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here